Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Here's a fix

Originally posted by Cory

Thanks for the tip, it must work in some cases as almost everyone has recommended it, but unfortunately not for me!

It does bring up another idea though. Have you moved your pref files out of the preference folder and restarted to see if maybe they are corrupted.

I don't think this is it either but it's worth a try. The reason I don't think that any of these or even a reinstall will work is because of the FSCK -Y repeating error. That makes me think you have a disk error that needs to be repaired. The only way to fix it is with a good disk repair program such as Disk Warrior or you could format the drive and reinstall.

Cory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Here's a fix

Originally posted by MacBandit

I don't think this is it either but it's worth a try. The reason I don't think that any of these or even a reinstall will work is because of the FSCK -Y repeating error. That makes me think you have a disk error that needs to be repaired. The only way to fix it is with a good disk repair program such as Disk Warrior or you could format the drive and reinstall.

MacBandit thanks again for your suggestions. Nothing was working and I mean nothing. Then last night, as I was about to go get Disk warrior, 10.2.2 was released. Mail still crashed, however, this time I noticed something in the CRASH LOG about DEFAULT COUNTS in the Users/Library/Mail folder. I trashed it and--without re-starting--Mail now opens! I had trashed many plists but not this file. Mail now shows me having 248 new messages which aren't new and I still don't know if I've lost any archived mail since things are organized differently in folders and I need to go through them all. But it is progress so I wanted to report it in case anyone else was struggling with this.

Thx

Cory

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Good news and an important lesson to everyone.

Just as an explanation helpt to everyone else the user/library folder is where application prefs and data is stored. Not just in the user/library/preferences folder. If you are having a problem move anything related to your program out of the library folder and try again. If it doesn't make a difference nothing lost just move the stuff back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.