Mail: Read Messages Not Showing As Such on iPhone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thebreadking, Mar 25, 2009.

1. thebreadking macrumors member

Hi there, quick question that I can't get to the bottom of...

I've been running all of my emails through my iPhone since it was released. Just recently I picked up a new Mac Mini as a work machine, and I set up Mail to handle all of the same accounts as my phone, with the thinking being that I can read and respond to messages when I'm at the computer, and when I step away, be able to read the remaining emails on my iPhone.

What my problem is, however, that both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts don't seem to "sync" properly between the phone and the computer, meaning that mail that I've read or deleted in Mail on the Mac Mini don't show up as being read or deleted on the iPhone, and vice versa.

I don't want to have to delete a message on my phone if I've already taken care of it in Mail. Anybody have an idea of why its doing this, or how I can solve it? Thanks for the help!

2. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

When you set up a Gmail account within Mail you must not allow it to set it up automatically. When it does this it uses pop which will not sync back to the server. When you start setting up the account you must unselect the 'Automatically set up account' check box and put the required information in manually. Google has instructions on how to set up Mail to use imap instead of pop.

3. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

And I thought Hotmail disabled this long ago?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hotmail re-enabled POP recently. My impression is the same for GMail -- that it must be set up using IMAP (it's working for me). My impression was that Hotmail does correctly mark messages read for POP. In fact, I'll give it a try now, as I have a few unreads in my Hotmail acct.

EDIT: No, I was wrong... Hotmail doesn't seem to mark messages read correctly for me.