Mail - Read / Undread

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oo7ml, Oct 22, 2011.

1. oo7ml macrumors 6502

Hi, when i receive new emails into my account in Mail, they are marked with the blue unread to signify that they are unread.

When i single click on the new email, the message in marked as read and the content of the email loads in right...

Is there a way to keep the email as unread until you double click the email or carry out some other action to signify that the email is now "read"... thanks in advance...

2. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

This type of customization is something that really baffles me with Apple... why don't they offer the simple settings that are found in non apple products... i find similar settings / customization missing from my iphone... thanks for your reply

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Usually, I just avoid clicking emails unless I intend to read them. However, you can mark any email message as Unread.

1. Right-click the mail message.
    2. A contextual menu appears.
    2. Move to the "Mark" hierarchical menu item.
    3. Choose "As Unread" from the expanded menu.

I know this procedure works on Mail.app at least through 10.6 Snow Leopard. Unless Mail.app changed a lot in Lion, it should also work there. You may have to switch it to the classic view. If you really don't like how Mail.app works, you're free to use any other mail app.

4. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks... that is what i am currently doing however i use my emails as a To Do list work and i have noticed that it is very easy to click on an unread email without noticing... thanks for your reply

5. chown33, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011

chown33 macrumors 604

Also, when i reply to an email... and that person replies back... i don't see my previous response in the conversation...

Mail can integrate with To Do lists. Use Mail's builtin Help to lookup the terms to do.

Or setup a Rule in Mail so it automatically puts a Yellow flag on your unread messages. Then use Yellow as your To Do color. Change the flag when the task is done.

6. oo7ml thread starter macrumors 6502