Mail Rejecting My Password (Its been working for months)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 30, 2010.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

All of a sudden, Mail has begun rejecting my password for my Gmail Account. Yesterday the password was fine and had been fine for about 10 or 11 months, until tonight. This is the box I see when I try to get mail:
    Picture 2.png

Mail is rejecting every single password that I use. I'm 100% positive that I'm entering the correct password. Is it possible that Gmail is down or doing maintenance which is causing this problem?

2. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

I had a similar problem, except that the password was accepted. After getting this message (and typing the correct password) enough times, I called AppleCare. They walked me through some process, I think involving Keychain, and the problem went away.

At least, it went away for about a month. It's been back for about a week or so. I'll probably call again and see what they say.

Sorry your password isn't accepted. Do you have AppleCare? Or access to a Genius Bar?

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yes sir I do. I wonder if it could be cache related?

4. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

UPDATE:

All is well now. Gmail must have been down or something. Strange.

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I've had this error periodically with .Mac/Mobile Me mail (which I find flaky), but never with my main email provider (which is rock solid). So, I'm tending to agree with your suggestion of it being a GMail issue.