Mail repeatedly downloads yahoo email messages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by khooke, Dec 4, 2008.

1. khooke macrumors newbie

I have Mail setup for a number of POP email accounts. One of them is a yahoo email account. There are over 5000 emails in this email account. I have already let Mail download all of them once, so now in Mail I can see all 5000 email messages that are in this account. I have Mail set to not delete the messages since I share the account with my wife and we both occasionally access it via webmail.

The problem I have is every time I start Mail, it downloads the new messages, then downloads a block of 528 email messages in the middle of the 5000. It seems to always download the same messages every time Mail starts. If I scroll down my inbox I can see this block of 500+ emails that have been downloaded multiple times - up to 10 times so far.

Anyone else seen this problem? Right now I've deleted this POP account from Mail because I can't find a way to make it stop downloading these messages repeatedly.

Thanks! Kevin

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Looks like Mail isn't keeping track of all messages it has downloaded. It could be a bug in Mail, but it could also be a bug in Yahoo's mail server, although it's less likely from what I know of POP.

Try setting up the POP account in Thunderbird and see if it shows the same behavior. If it has, then Yahoo has a problem.

3. khooke thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Thunderbird any better than the native Mac Mail app? I haven't used a mail app for some time since I usually use web mail.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I prefer Mail, but I use Thunderbird on my Linux and Windows PCs at work.

I suggested you use it just to see if you get the same behavior - Mail and Thunderbird will connect to the POP account the same way, but since they use entirely different code you'll be able to track down if the bug is in Mail or Yahoo. Either way, you should be able to report a bug.

5. ghanter macrumors newbie

Same problem with Gmail

I am having the same problem with gmail....now since about last 3-4 months. I wasnot able to find any solution to that and stopped using apple mail. I have latest version (3.5)