Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btownguy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
With the upgrade to iOS 10, I really am not liking how the notifications for Mail are working. Each time I get a message the notification takes up half of my screen. I believe previously all that was shown was the sender and the subject. That's all I need. If I turn off "Show Previews", all I get is the sender which isn't helpful as I would also like to see the subject. Any way to change this?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Aren't the notifications supposed to go away when you open its app? I see notifications still there that need to be cleared manually/

immx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Has anyone figured out a fix yet? I'm assuming not and we'll have to wait for a sender/subject like we use to have.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
rich notifications are only visible when you 3d touch on regular notifications, or swipe and view on older devices.

are you saying rich notifications are large (because yes they are, but that's almost the point of them) or are you saying the regular notifications are also large?

op, some screenshots would be useful

Last edited:
Reactions: Brownbox88

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
Many notifications stick on screen, it's clearly a bug.

There are 2 types of notifications...

Banners: They drop down, then go away.
Alerts: They drop down and stay. Also, they look like banners now. Not like the windows that used to just pop up in the middle of your screen.

You might want to check which you have checked for each app.

HTH

Brownbox88

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
FL
I have it set to show preview in notifications, then to show one line in the mail settings. With that, it then only shows the sender, subject and one line of the email. Nothing else.

Attachments

• IMG_8435.jpg
    IMG_8435.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 107

immx

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
This is not a perfect fix, but it is better!

Switch preview on in Settings>Notifications

Go to Steeings>Mail>Preview and change to 1 Line.

That will then display the sender, the subject and just the first line of the email.

As I said, not a fix, but better than all or nothing!

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
There are 2 types of notifications...

Banners: They drop down, then go away.
Alerts: They drop down and stay. Also, they look like banners now. Not like the windows that used to just pop up in the middle of your screen.

You might want to check which you have checked for each app.

HTH
I know. It's set correctly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.