Mail rule help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by italiano40, Jun 28, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I want to create a rule that when a message is in a folder it is mark as read, can someone help me create a rule for that i spend like 3 hours looking for a soultion online

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is this an IMAP folder? I don't think you can apply rules to offline folders. I don't think you can apply rules based on presence in an online folder either. How does the mail end up in the folder in the first place? Server side rule? If so, can you just replicate that rule's conditions and use them to mark the mail read?

3. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

Yes it is IMAP, it is a gmail account show the folders on the side show all mail, spam, etc i want to mark the my spam folder as read so i don't have to manually do it every time

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Could you not set a rule that says

If Message is Junk Mail, Then move to Folder <specify> then Mark as Read?

Surely then everything that's in the spam folder would be marked as Junk Mail anyway, you could move it to a folder for spam and then it would be marked as read.

Only downside is that you'll effectively have 2 folders for spam I think.

5. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

is their a mail addon that gives me more control over the rules

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The junkmail rule is already there by default, so you should be able to just add to it. Go to mail-preferences-junk mail and make sure "perform custom actions" is checked. Then go to advanced and under "perform the following actions," add "mark as read."