Mail Rules Do Not Work - Do I need another program?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mddharma, Apr 1, 2008.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

This is what I have been trying to do... I have many clients that I send email to and vice versa. I have set up mail boxes and then applied rules that state From or To contains their email address. When that rule happens it is suppose to perform the function of move message to a mailbox that I have set up. The problem is that anything they send me goes to the target mailbox like it should, however, the TO stays in my sent mailbox and will not go to the target mailbox that I have set up.

AARRRGH! :(:(I am very frustrated. Is there a secret to this or do I need a 3rd party program. I know in Tiger at one time this worked. HELP!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I always thought Mail rules only applied to incoming mail, which would explain what's happening to you. A workaround would be to Cc. yourself on outgoing email so you get an incoming copy that would get filtered by the rule. You would still have the emails in your sent folder though. Not a great solution but the only email program I'm familiar with that can run rules on designated folders is Entourage.

3. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

I did that this morning with the Cc. It works, bit of a drag that it then shows up in the box as a new message and is in the send file. Does anyone know of any other programs that would do this?