Mail Rules Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bowens, Oct 1, 2009.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

This may be kind of confusing. I've got my work email through GoDaddy. I receive that email in Mail. I also have GoDaddy CC all my incoming mail to a GMail account so I can get push email on my iPhone. I want to be able to receive the GMail in Mail as well but if I set the account up in Mail I will get 2 copies of everything from my GoDaddy account. I was wondering if there would be a way to set up a rule that would say something like "if an email is received in the GMail mailbox that is from the GoDaddy email address put it in the trash." I've been looking and haven't figured out a way to specify which incoming mailbox the rule is set to.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'd probably have to set something up in GMail to do that, since it's the GMail inbox. Does GMail have rules you can set up?

3. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I don't want GMail to delete them though. Then I wouldn't get them on my phone. I only want them in the trash in Mail app.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then in Mail can you set up a rule that says

if From Contains xxxxx@godaddy.com (or whatever)

perform the following actions:

forward to xxxxxx@gmail.com
    move message to Trash

then maybe stop reading your GMail with Mail, and only use it on the iPhone?

5. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

I think I figured it out. I did find an option in rules called "Account." So I set up a rule for my gmail account that would move any email addressed to my godaddy email to the trash. Works great.

6. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

No, that won't work either. Since the Gmail account is set up as IMAP when Mail deletes the messages there it also deletes them from GMail online which in turn deletes them from my phone. Oh, well. I guess I just won't use GMail in Mail.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah. Because of how IMAP works I don't think there is any other obvious solution. Then again it's probably worth keeping an eye on the thread, I'm obviously not an e-mail expert.