Mail running, but won't close or open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BigAus, Nov 14, 2009.

1. BigAus macrumors member

Hi all,

As the title says, Mail is running in the background, but it won't quit or open. I need to reboot (ie hold down start for 10 seconds) to restart. Other applications are also very slow to respond during this, incl. Safari.

I'm on a Late 2007 Macbook running 10.6.2, which I updated yesterday.

Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Command Alt Escape to bring up the Force Quit window, then force it to quit?

3. BigAus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Miles. Unfortunately the problems continue.

Mail quits and opens now, but when a send a message it often goes to Outbox and freezes Mail, even though it is sent. Also, a 'recovered messages' folder keeps appearing with messages that have been sent. My provider is Gmail which seems to be fine when used is Safari.

Is there a way to reset or reinstall Mail only before I do a full reinstall?

Thanks

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

With Leopard you'd do it using Pacifist, not sure if that works for SL yet though.

5. BigAus thread starter macrumors member

Well it's a sad day but I've dumped Mail for Entourage. After sought of fixing the last problem by deleting the account and creating it again, Mail is now sending duplicate emails. When I get the patience I will try and sought it properly.

Thanks again Miles. FYI, I looked up Pacifist and it appears to be compatible with SL.