Mail & Safari highlight and trackpad oddness - anyone else have it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pax, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Pax macrumors 6502a

Hi

Macbook Pro (5,5) 10.6.2 problem

If I use purely the trackpad (ie not the physical click) to single click & drag to highlight text in Mail.app, if I press the delete key quickly after highlighting, the text disappears but the highlight remains. When I start typing the new text overwrites the highlight. Annoying.

If I use the physical click this does not happen.

I see the same in Safari here in this forum text box, but not in the URL bar. Office 2008 and X show different but similar behaviour:- If I click-drag without using the physical click, and then press delete too quickly, nothing happens ie the text remains.

TextEdit, Firefox, iWork '09 do not show this behaviour ie they behave correctly.

Does anyone else see this? Any suggestions? I've tried rebooting, SMC reset, fiddling with the trackpad settings in system preferences.

It's annoying.

2. Pax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to talk to myself.... I tried a MacBook Pro in an Apple reseller today and it showed the same behaviour on Mail. I don't know what version of Mac OS X it was running.

Hopefully a fix coming in 10.6.3?

3. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I'm seeing this too, in 10.6.3 and now 10.6.4. EXTREMELY annoying. Did you ever find a workaround or fix?