mail search function.. not functioning :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DA-Steve, Apr 21, 2007.

1. DA-Steve macrumors regular

I cant seem to search for anything in the mail search box.i can only search for subject, not entire message :( Im sure its something silly that im overlooking but its really bugging me!!

2. fwhh macrumors regular

When you have typed something in the search box in mail, above of the results are buttons for subject, to, from, etc.... try clicking the appropiate button..

3. DA-Steve thread starter macrumors regular

the only one that produces a result is "subject" if i search for something in "Entire Message" i get 0 results no matter what i type in.:(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is Spotlight working properly? You could try reindexing Spotlight by opening System Preferences up, heading to the Spotlight pane and then the Privacy tab. Add your hard disk, close System Preferences, reopen it and remove your hard drive from the Privacy tab this time. It'll take a while to reindex, remember. :)

5. DA-Steve thread starter macrumors regular

Spotlight is actually working fine, i can search for emails and everything, just not from within mail :(

Should i try reindexing anyway?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, it can't really hurt. Are you saying that if you use Spotlight, you can find the emails that Mail itself can't find?

7. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I'm not happy with Mail's search function as well. Somehow I have the feeling it's a bit buggy.

8. DA-Steve thread starter macrumors regular

Yep thats its, strangely today it appears to be working again, i didnt change anything. :confused:

9. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

yeah, quite often when i am looking for an email, it will not come up when i search for it, but if i look for it maually its there.