Mail search is driving me crazy!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by jafingi, May 8, 2012.

1. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Am I the only one who has issues with the new Mail app's search functionality in Lion?

I upgraded some months ago (actually it was a clean install) and copied my old Mail folder over.

But when I search for e-mails it's like it doesn't find them all - EVEN when there are plenty of mails.

See the two screenshots. First is search for "grafical" - 3 results, but actually there are 7 e-mails from them.

How come??? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fletch33 macrumors regular

fletch33

is it possible you have your Mail on conversation view which you wouldnt have seen on SL and so although you only see 3 emails each of them could contain more than one email?

have you opened them to check?

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Does it only find older email? If so, that might be a symptom that your indexing is out of date. I'm not sure how Mail does this, but I do know that I once had a problem with the Spotlight database and had to rebuild it, and that cured my Mail problem.

Or it might be that the mailbox needs to be rebuilt.

Rob

4. jafingi thread starter macrumors 65816

jafingi

@fletch33: It's not because it's on conversation view. It's individual mail (as you can see in the screenshots). With conversation view, there is a blue triangle on the left of the list if there's more than one e-mail.

@robgendreau: It's the opposit. I can find new mails, but not the old ones.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal