Mail: Sending mail does not work from Mac but from iPad

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desertman, Nov 27, 2015.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

A friend of mine has a Mac with OS X 10.7.5 and an iPad with iOS 9.1. He says that it frequently happens that he writes an email on his Mac but cannot send it - Mail at first trying for a long time to send and then giving an error message that it cannot connect with the SMTP server. When he then writes the same email on his iPad he can send the email immediately and without problems. At other times, he says, he has no problem to send emails from his Mac. On both devices the email addresses have been set up by me (some time ago) - and they, of course, worked at that time.

What could this be? I will go there this evening and maybe I can get already beforehand some tips what to look for.

Greetings - desertman

2. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

... just noticed a typo in the thread title. It should say at the end "but from iPad" and not "but from iPod".

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I fixed it for you

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

desertman...member since July of 2008...surely you know you should provide more details. Email provider, type of account, type of Mac, mail client he is using. Come on!

5. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

BrianBaughn ... member since 2011 ... surely you can read ... I'm going there later tonight, and until then I do not have more details.

However, I did give quite a few: The mail client is Mail which I stated - as it should be done in this forum - in the title of the thread. And why does the model of the Mac matter? What matters is the OS X version, and that I stated, too. Or is Mail now on an iMac with OS X 10.7.5 different than Mail on a Mac mini with OS X 10.7.5?

And, last but not least, I only asked if somebody would possibly have tips what to look for when going there. If you don't have such tips - why do you bother me with your unnecessary and offensive reply?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

desertman...sorry...didn't mean it that way!

I should start using emoticons.

Gotta say there's a steady stream of folks getting SMTP errors or annoying authentication popups lately regardless of their email client, platform or email provider.

7. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. No harm done ...

When I went to the guy's house everything worked (of course). Moreover, he slightly changed his story, now saying that he used his iPhone when Mail from his Mac could not send. I therefore assume that he sometimes has Internet connections issues and that then his iPhone automatically uses cellular data instead of Wi-Fi when Wi-Fi does not work (as it is now the default in iOS 9).