Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brasiliangringo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I noticed from my Sent box, that Mail is sending out 'read confirmation' emails to emails I have received and read from a contact of mine (who is obviously requesting them). However, I am not being made aware of this request when reading these emails in my Inbox. I am a little annoyed that something is happening without my knowledge or consent (ie read confirmations being sent!!)

Any ideas..

I am running Gmail IMAP through Mail.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
I don't have any personal experience with read receipts, but from a quick search, what I could find was this:

- Generally speaking, Gmail doesn't offer read receipts, nor does Mail respond to them, however
- HTML messages download images from a server, which can be used to find out that/when the message was accessed.

To prevent this, you can go to Preferences - Viewing, then uncheck the box for "Display remote images in HTML messages."

I'm not sure that fully explains the messages in your sent box, though... If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.