mail sending vast data - is it a virus

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burdekin, Feb 10, 2011.

1. burdekin macrumors member

each time i log on to mail it sends vast amounts of data without request. if i go to gmail to check emails using Safari this does not happen. i tried using time machine to set the mail application back to a previous time however this is still happening. is it a virus or some setting i have done wrong? i am new to mac so all help appreciated:confused:

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure mail is just syncing data with gmail. That way your inbox, trash, sent mail folders have the same messages as those folders in gmail. Unless it's hampering your usage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Macs do not get viruses because there are 0 viruses on the Mac.

3. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

4. Detrius macrumors 68000

This is a bug that's been around a while. I did a google search, and here's one way I found that looks like it'll fix the problem easily:

http://www.macsmarts.com/?p=436

5. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replys. I LOVE MY MAC however am a new user and am afraid i have done something wrong. When i go to gmail using Safari it is ok. The usage is around 80 to 100 mb each time and i have only about 12 emails in the in box as i use email about once a week. The last email i sent had an attachment of about 370k which was some family photos. I will ask a friend to assist me tonight to try the fix suggested and post a reply. He has much more knowledge of computers than i have so will try this for me. thanks again for your support it is much appreciated.;)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Being new to Macs, let me put your mind at ease about one thing. It isn't a virus, since none exist that can run on current Mac OS X.

7. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

A huge thank you

a HUGE Thank you to those who replied with advice. I tried your suggestions and it worked perfectly the first time. As a new user i am always worried about doing something wrong and breaking the machine. I have gone to Mac as i have seen just how stable the OS is in use and will continue to learn. Hope one day to be able to learn enough to return the favour to someone else.:)

8. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

Similar problem has occured

The problem seemed to go away after using the script suggested however i seem to have large amounts of data arriving at times after i have checked my emails using the mac mail application. If i use Safari to check emails this does not occur. Have tried using the script after each use of mail but this data seems to arrive each time. Does apple send regular os updates to your machine or could this be some other bug of some kind? Any suggestions other than just going to Safari to collect emails or get another email address.:confused:

9. Detrius macrumors 68000

The script deletes a cache, and caches are generally a good thing. Once it has downloaded, if you don't delete the cache and relaunch, does it download again? What does mail activity tell you?

10. burdekin thread starter macrumors member

I have found today that there seemed to be a number of the same emails sent over and over a few seconds apart. When i checked the deleted emails there were some sent 60 to 80 times over a few minutes each containing some family photos. I changed the pop settings to make gmail not archive emails once sent or received and ran the script again. All seems ok when i just log on with mail and let it do its thing however if i ask it to manually check mail it then seems to still collect all the emails i have ever sent. Am i doing something wrong with either gmail or the mac mail application. I looked at the mail activity window but it shows nothing at all then seems like a flood of traffic coming in. I am new to mac so think it may be my problem with not making correct settings. I will try just leaving things alone as it seems that it will still send and receive all ok if i keep my fingers out of settings. I am on a pre paid broadband plan on a usb stick as i travel around so do not want to keep having data used when it is not necessary. Thanks for the suggestions all are much appreciated as l learn more of what to do and what not to touch.:)