"mail sent" sound bug

chenks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
i've noticed that the issue of the "mail sent" sound playing before the email has actually sent is still present in the GM/final release.

this "bug" was present in the previous beta and doesn't appear to have been fixed.

CD3660

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
They need to sort this out!

It is ridiculous to have an audible 'email sent' notification before the email has gone. It actually makes the notification meaningless.

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
Actually a big issue

I have one account that has to use the CWMX server for outgoing mail. Last night, I heard the swoosh and assume a reply I had typed was sent. In fact, It wasn't and when I shut the mail app after (to test something else), the email vanished and this was 25 minutes after I hit sent and heard the swoosh.

There is anywhere between a 20 second and many minutes lag between the swoosh and the time the email is sent.

chenks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
It's not a bug if they designed it that way. It's on purpose.
you're assuming that it has been designed that way.
this is a change from how it worked in all previous versions of iOS.
the swoosh also only plays AFTER the email has sent in all versions of OSX.

this suggests it's NOT by design and is actually a bug.

----------

Not for me. Actually I may have it backwards. The little red "1" shows before the sound.
that not sent email, that's incoming email

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
you're assuming that it has been designed that way.
this is a change from how it worked in all previous versions of iOS.
the swoosh also only plays AFTER the email has sent in all versions of OSX.

this suggests it's NOT by design and is actually a bug.

----------

that not sent email, that's incoming email
Yeah. So do you also see the red "1" before you here the noise for incoming mail?

chenks

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Yeah. So do you also see the red "1" before you here the noise for incoming mail?
no idea, i don't sit and watch for incoming mail coming in.
that's no so much of an issue though as either way you get the incoming email

outgoing email sound is more of an issue as your phone suggests that the email has been sent, when in fact it hasn't and is still in the process of sending - it might fail sending but because it played the sound you assume that it actually has sent.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
for me it is a bug
the sound is playing at the start of the send process rather than at the end.
Agree,

It is a bug, because I had mail sitting in the outbox for over a day, despite the sent sound being played.

As you say, the sound should play when the mail has successfully been accepted by the smtp server - as was the case before.

APPLE - can you hear us?

----------

I just did in addition to my postings to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone. Both this issue and the lack of traffic data in the heart of Washington DC are big issues. There are workarounds, but those shouldn't be necessary.
I sent bug report on this also. I just hope they act on these things.