Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seany92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Hi guys just got my first macbook and its great :) What I'd like to know is how to setup mail. I use hotmail and on windows I used either outlook or windows live mail. I understand that the mail app on the mac uses IMAP but when I tried to setup hotmail it wants to use POP which I really dont want too. My iphone is set to use microsoft exchange sync which is perfect, can I do the same on the mac?? Thanks

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Hotmail? Really? Do they even let you pop their mail without paying? Sorry I have had Gmall too long. All free and over 10GB of storage. Pop and IMAP. But don't IMAP 10GB of storage:)
The Mac part does't matter. It is Hotmail's fault if you can;t IMAP for free or it isn't offered. It's Microsoft they kind of play favorites, you know? They offer more to PC users. Wonder why?

Seany92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Hotmail? Really? Do they even let you pop their mail without paying? Sorry I have had Gmall too long. All free and over 10GB of storage. Pop and IMAP. But don't IMAP 10GB of storage:)
The Mac part does't matter. It is Hotmail's fault if you can;t IMAP for free or it isn't offered. It's Microsoft they kind of play favorites, you know? They offer more to PC users. Wonder why?

I never liked the gmail UI. Then what is the iphone using to pull its mail down?? Because that syncs back and updates my hotmail.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
I never liked the gmail UI. Then what is the iphone using to pull its mail down?? Because that syncs back and updates my hotmail.

Why does a GUI matter? You're wanting IMAP service on Mail.app. You can also POP and exchange on Mail.app. It does mostly all but Hotmail and Yahoo because they don;t offer the service without paying. Unless times have changed. It depends solely on the service provider. Not sure about the iPhone. This is a Mac forum. Depends on how you set it up. How did you set it up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.