Mail shows wrong message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wilfried, Feb 23, 2008.

1. wilfried macrumors member

This problem cropped up in the last couple days. I download from my Gmail account via IMAP. Occasionally, when I open an email message in Mail, completely the wrong email shows up. Instead of the message I just received, I see some random message from weeks or months ago. I have no idea what might have caused this, and I haven't discerned a pattern as to which messages show this error, or which wrong email shows up. I have to go back to the web version to read the correct message. Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause, or the fix?

2. NicP macrumors 6502

I have just started getting the same problem, any ideas on a fix?

3. u415967 macrumors newbie

I'm getting this problem as well. It is okay online, on my ipod, just wrong on my Macbook pro.

I'm using .mac with Leopard.

4. wilfried thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I can't be of help. The problem cleared up after a while, but I don't know what I did to fix it. I did try rebuilding "Mail's Envelope Index" in Onyx, but I don't remember if that's what did it. It's probably worth a shot.

5. pat.99 macrumors newbie

Rebuild the mail box (from another Mac forum)

Hi all,
    I kept looking for solutions to this problem, since my Mac G5 desktop (running 10.5.6) also has been doing it for a couple of weeks. It displays a message from months ago, even though I have clicked on a message that just came in today (via IMAP, if that matters).
    Anyway, another Mac forum had the solution that worked for me: You need to choose the mailbox from the left panel (for me, I had to not just choose Inbox, but also choose underneath that the specific account I wanted). Then go to the toolbar, and under "Mailbox", click "Rebuild".