Mail smtp help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by waffles123, Apr 12, 2009.

1. waffles123 macrumors regular

I'm having some trouble with Apple Mail and my att.yahoo mail account. It's pretty much always worked, but today it won't let me send mail. It says:

The server “smtp@att.yahoo.com” cannot be contacted on port 465.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

I've tried all of the ports and it still doesn't work. Please help lol.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You sure it shouldn't be smtp.att.yahoo.com? never seen a @ symbol in smtp settings... You may also have to check "use encrypted connection"

3. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried that and this is what I got:

The connection to the server “smtp.att.yahoo.com” on port 965 failed (error 64: Host is down)

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

4. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

is the port 965 something you entered? From what I see online it should be on port 465.. this is what I am looking at for settings. Link

EDIT*** make sure it's port 465 you have to have "use encrypted connection" and put in your username and password that you use for receiving mail. or if there is an option to use same settings as receiving mail. Sorry, I use Entourage but the settings for receiving and sending are pretty much the same

5. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Well,,, hmmm. Could be a network issue. May have to contact customer support. Sorry, wish I could be more help.