Mail still not connecting.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JBradley500, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JBradley500 macrumors newbie

Basically, for the last year my Mail hasn't worked. I have to use a browser to check it. Well i would like to figure it out to make things more convenient.

I didn't change anything to affect the Mail settings. I am at a loss here. Maybe you guys could ask me questions to see if my settings are right or not but i dont know much about them. This is the error message im getting right now.

[​IMG]

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Have you set up G Mail forwarding on the G Mail web page under settings?
    Also check the Help tab on the G Mail page for troubleshooting IMAP or POP. All the settings are there for getting Apple Mail to work.

3. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked everything in Gmail and it looked good. I tried using port 143 no SSL and port 993 and both "time out". I tried deleting the com.apple.mail.plist so it could make a new one but it didnt help. I have tried adding accounts with various settings and nothing is working. I am at a loss. Any other suggestions? It seems like a lot of people have a similar problem but i can't find a solution.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Have you tried using G Mail as a POP account? Sorry I can't be of any more help. If all the settings on the G Mail web page are correct and Apple Mail is set up correctly it should work. I've never had a problem with G Mail. Double check for typos. I've seen comas used instead of periods for example. I'm currently using GMail POP. I can post all settings if you want.

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Attached Files:

6. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried as pop and as imap and neither of them work. I have deleted and added my account several times without success. I have tried to add my username with and without the @gmail.com without results. Its very irritating to not be able to set up a Mail program. It worked for me a year ago or so. Maybe until the time when i updated to Snow Leopard? I can't remember.

7. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Just out of curiosity, how is your firewall set up? Look in security under system preferences.
    Is G Mail your only mail service? If not, do other clients work?

8. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

And i just tried a Yahoo! Mail and it woudlnt even connect.

Thanks for sticking with me. I have no clue what to do.

9. Knoodles, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Click the lock icon and enter your computer user password. Turn off firewall. Does mail work now?

Show me the window after you click the advanced button.

Yahoo mail will not work unless you pay for their premium service. Web only.

10. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know about Yahoo mail. That's kind of silly if you ask me. But, the Gmail still isn't working with the firewall set off. :confused:

11. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

12. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty stumped too. This is the 3rd time ive tried to get it working. I usually try anything i can find online that someone else has had success with and it never works for me. It's weird how it worked fine before and then -BAM- nothing. I forgot i had started another thread on this last year. Here's a link, maybe it can give you more information than i gave you so far.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=836286&highlight=

13. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I read your other thread. Since you get errors when trying to telnet then it is your isp that is causing the problem.

14. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I don't know what that means but at least i have an answer.

15. JBradley500 thread starter macrumors newbie

i figured id post about this again incase someone googles the same problem. i manually reset my router and opened up ports from 49152 to 65535. now its connecting.