Mail: Stop checking one account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi all,

I have three accounts set up in Mail and one is being overrun with spam (and the built-in spam filter is proving utterly ineffective). I've provided a newer address to the few legitimate senders and I no longer want to check this mailbox for any new messages.

In Preferences > Accounts > Advanced tab, I've deselected "Include when automatically checking for new messages" but I still get a notification and badge when a new message comes in. What am I missing here?

I've also tried turning off "Enable this account" in the Account Information tab, but that makes the mailbox disappear entirely; I'd like to still be able to read existing messages but just don't want to receive new ones.

Help! :)

2. rottnjohn macrumors newbie

rottnjohn

Mark the account "offline" (Mailbox -> Online Status -> Take xxx offline)

3. Nermal, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Thanks! That appears to work (although I can't say for sure until I actually get another message) but it puts three "zap" icons in the sidebar; is there any way to hide those?

4. Nermal, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015

Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well, that worked for a couple of days, but I just opened up Mail and got 20 new spams because Mail had decided to bring the account online again. Argh!

Edit: Here we are, the following morning, and the account's enabled itself again.

5. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

For what it's worth, I updated to 10.11 yesterday and deselecting "Include when automatically checking for new messages" still does nothing, and the account still brings itself back online without instruction to do so.