Mail - subfolders of Sent Items?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevo1, Nov 17, 2007.

1. stevo1 macrumors member

I'm just looking at switching from Entourage to Mail.app, but a bit puzzled by the way it lets (or rather, doesn't let) you organise emails and subfolders in the left column.

In Entourage, I've got used to my folders being organised like this:

Inbox
    > Family
    > Work
    > etc

Sent Items
    > Family
    > Work
    > etc

Whenever I send or receive a message, by default it gets stored in either Inbox or Sent Items, until I move it to the appropriate subfolder.

Now in Mail, I can't seem to move any folders I create into the Inbox or Sent icons at the top. :confused: I just have Inbox at the top (which has a subfolder called POP Account) and Sent which has no black triangle next to it at all meaning I can't open it up or create any subfolders.

I can create new folders ("mailboxes"??) below, which can nest subfolders, but it just seems a bit clumsy, and kind of doubling up. Unless I'm mistaken, it means I'm going to have to have two instances of Inbox and Sent... the ones at the top that can't have subfolders in (which presumably is where messages go by default), and the mailboxes below that I create, where overall it will look something like this...

Inbox
    > POP Account
    Sent

Inbox
    > Family
    > Work
    > etc

Sent Items
    > Family
    > Work
    > etc

Is this right, or am I missing something here?

Sorry to sound dumb on this... can anyone confirm that this is how it should work? Thanks.
    (PS - Mail 2.1.1, in Tiger)

2. stevo1 thread starter macrumors member

OK, that was quite long-winded. :eek: I know there's no single correct way, but I'm just curious to know how you regular Mail.app users choose to organise your subfolders.

Do you create your own new INBOX and SENT folders, so that you can create subfolders within each one (e.g. work, family)?

OR

Do you just have, say, ONE folder called family, and stick ALL your messages - both sent AND received - into this one folder? (and ditto for other categories)

?