Mail syncing doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GPap, Jul 25, 2016.

1. GPap macrumors regular

GPap

Hello,

I have 3 devices ( iMac - iPhone - iPad ) and I'd like, as everyone wants, to see my emails synced.

When I delete an email from iMac the same email it's still on the iOS device Home Screen.

It needs to go manually and open the app to delete them.

The funny part here is sometimes work, I can't understand why, most of the times not.

I tried with Airmail but no luck.

My accounts are outlook.com and iCloud.com . My Apple ID is the one with outlook.com extension.

They are all IMAP.

Any idea could be very helpful.

Thanks.

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

Look up synchronization and polling relative to email - they are different processes, and handled differently for each domain, each app type, and each device. Dive into the particulars for each domain, you'll often find a 15-minute polling period in free domains like Gmail, iCloud, and Outlook.com and it's rare that you'll get "right now" service all of the time or even most of the time.

With my Outlook.com account, using the Outlook desktop on Windows gets "right now" response most of the time but using Apple Mail its often more like "it happens when it happens...". You can use the "Synchronize Now" commands within each app - but you'll find out that some domains (like Gmail) will limit polling/sync to 15 minutes.

I use Office 365 and take advantage of its JIT services, but that's my solution...

3. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

I've found a solution named CloudMagic Email + the same Free app for iOS. It syncs nice across my 3 devices. But there is a new issue. The messages have a long delay to arrive.
    My account is Outlook. Does anyone knows why and how to fix this ? I tried re-create the account and fresh app install.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

A bit more on this. First, I tried CloudMagic and opted out a bit later and don't use it; that app does the polling for you to a degree - when you select the notification, the rest of the message synchs. When you synch the contents of an email, there's still a sync back from CloudMagic back to the server - which could take up to that 15 minute period again; using CloudMagic or a similar app doesn't exempt a user from the sync period.

Also, if you have multiple apps pinging an account - such as your desktop client that's open, your iOS Mail app, and now CloudMagic - you will likely see a further delay more often than not. The sync interval isn't about 15 minutes per device, it's 15 minutes per account.

Paid accounts such as my Office 365 Business email are pretty much real time for synching/pushing headers, whereas my free accounts adhere to server load and device type...

5. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

Thank you. I don't know exactly why but now it works very fast like my other email clients and it syncs my devices very well. I hope it will stay right there :)

6. GPap thread starter macrumors regular

GPap

It looks like I spoke early. I returned to my previous email client (Airmail) which does not sync my devices for the moment ( I hope update will) but it acts very fast and has lot of preferences.
    I'm writing just to inform others who are looking for email syncing.

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

Offering a tip that *may* assist with synching from desktop apps for non-Exchange accounts like iCloud/Outlook/Gmail, from the app's folder panel in Outlook or Airmail (I use both) Right/Control-Click on a folder and you'll see a command like Sync/Synchronize All Messages (for that selected folder) - often, but not always the app will "force" a sync with the server. Apple Mail has a similar command.

One needs to keep in mind that the server often controls when a sync actually takes place, and each provider has a polling interval per account, not per device - seeing changes on one device will sync eventually, a limitation of free accounts from providers hosting millions of users... Cheers...