Mail taking up space in ios7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by DaGrandMastah, Oct 1, 2013.

1. DaGrandMastah macrumors 6502a

It's currently at 146 mb but I've never seen it take up any space. Does anyone know how to prevent mail from taking up space on my device? I use gmail.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

reduce the sync to 1 week?

3. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

By 1 week? How do I go about doing that?

----------

I keep reading you can set how far back the mail backs up data on your iphone but i can't find that setting anywhere.

4. nathdogg, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

nathdogg macrumors regular

Mail taking up space in ios7?

Setting -- Mail, Contacts, Calendar -- (select mail account eg. Yahoo) -- (click where it says account next your email address) -- Advanced -- (Scroll down to deleted messages, and click where it says remove). You should now be able to select how long you want to keep your emails.

Hope this helps.

**Edit**

Gmail seems a bit different. In "advanced" I believe you would have to look under mailbox behaviours. If you select "drafts mailbox" "deleted mailbox" or "archive mailbox" it will allow you to select whether each are stored on the phone or on the server.

5. DaGrandMastah thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see that setting. I ccan follow the directions all the way until the end but there is no selection for how long you want to keep your messages.

I have the following settings:

Mailbox Behaviors:
    Drafts Mailbox - Drafts
    Deleted Mailbox - Trash
    Archive Mailbox - All Mail

Move Discarded Messages into:

Deleted Mailbox (selected)
    Archive Mailbox

6. nathdogg macrumors regular

As far as I can see, in each of the mailbox behaviours you can choose whether the mail is stored locally on the phone or stored on the server.