Mail Unread Badge

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by MJedi, Sep 18, 2013.

1. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

In iOS 6, I could specify how many messages I want to be shown in Mail. Now, it seems that option is gone. (Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars - Mail) So I instead of the badge on the icon showing 100 or less, the badge now reflects ALL unread messages. Is this normal in iOS 7 now?

2. Hatchet macrumors regular

I can't find that setting either and I can't figure out for the life of me how to clear 3 unread messages off of the badge. When I first upgraded, I had 2800 unread (which wasn't the case) and was able to clear out all but 3.

Even the Unread Mail folder has the phantom 3 emails but nothing shows in that folder. Driving me crazy...

3. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

How did you clear the other "unread" messages?

4. Hatchet macrumors regular

If you go to the mailbox with the unread, scroll to the bottom and it will load 250 more messages. I did this until it displayed them all and then edit > mark all > read

Took forever but it at least got all but 3. Definitely a bug in the app as it's a widespread issue.

5. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

Yup getting it too on my ipad3. 8721 unread emails. No way am I going to load 250 at a time. I'll be doing that forever. What a bug!!!!:mad:

6. TheRealVertical macrumors newbie

I was able to (relatively) quickly resolve this when I had ~10,000 unread messages over two accounts (Comcast POP accounts). I went into Comcast online, created a subfolder and moved all my mail there. It's not exactly a solution but it cleared the issue up on the iPod.

Apple REALLY needs to re-implement the ability to limit the messages in POP emails. It's there on all of the others.

7. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

Did you move them back after the badge reset?

8. TheRealVertical macrumors newbie

I haven't been that brave yet.

9. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

Why don't you clear your or move your unread messages? Or read them. That would be novel! I really don't understand why people leave thousands of unread messages in their inbox. This would keep me up at night. But maybe thats just me. :D

10. TheRealVertical macrumors newbie

It is just you. You're not understanding the issue. I have read all of my email. Those 10,000 emails are 'read' on the server. But when my iDevice connects to the account, it thinks "Hmm, I haven't seen these before" and flags them as 'unread' since they haven't been read ON the device. So when I connect to a 9 year old email account with 7,000 emails in it, my iDevice thinks "oh, hey, look, 7,000 'unread on this device' emails!" And the only way to 'clear' it is to either MOVE those emails from that inbox so that the iDevice doesn't 'see' them anymore, or by loading them into storage on your device and flagging them all as read.

11. Aaplipad macrumors newbie

I agree. I'm using my email server as a store for email even though they have been read. Plenty of room on the mail server to hold them. Apple needs to fix this. It never was an issue until iOS 7.

12. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I'm having the same issue. I called apple and they said the servers are jammed and things should go back to normal in a couple days.

13. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

ohhhh. ok sorry, i misunderstood. that's really sucky. i don't use the native mail app, I use the "Mailbox" app. so to test i added my gmail account to the native mail app and the issue you are describing did not occur for me. it accurately represents the number of unread messages (8). i know that helps absolutely none. sorry.

14. MJedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

MJedi

So I guess that setting in iOS 6 is gone in iOS 7?

15. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

I'm noticing that messages that I've marked as read are unmarking themselves. Anyone seeing this?

16. syd430 Guest

This has been driving me nuts since the beta's. Now that public release is out, i've tried to clear it all by marking all as read, but it seems to only selectively clear most messages while randomly leaving others. I'm doing this on an ipad only to watch the mail badge on my iphone continuously fluctuate between 0 and 8500 messages. Sometimes they get back down to 0 on all my devices only for it to shoot back up to 3000 or 5000 once the mail app is restarted. I've been noticing this since I installed beta 1, and it's still not fixed in the public release. Unbelievable.

17. VictorWI macrumors newbie

I had the same issue after iOS7 was installed. My Mail icon said over 9,000 emails unread which were in my Yahoo! account. I simply switched to the Yahoo! mailbox, clicked Edit, clicked Mark All and chose Mark as Unread. This cleared them all out. It did however, mark them all read in Yahoo! as well. Not that I care as most of the unread were junk but this may bother others. I did not have to load all of them to the device. YMMV.

18. Kypittore macrumors newbie

I selected "mark all as read" and the blue unread dots disappeared but at the bottom is still says "10,035 unread" and I still have the red notification on the mail icon that indicates I have that many new emails. The edit function is not working.

19. Hatchet macrumors regular

At this point, we'll just have to wait until Apple releases an update to fix the bug. I've tried everything and I can't get rid of the 3 unread messages in one of my POP Accounts.

20. Hatchet macrumors regular

Update: I was able to finally clear the 3 Unread messages!

Apparently there is a email limit per mailbox (where it will no longer allow you to load any more messages - for me it was 2800). I simply deleted about 40 of the oldest messages from the bottom of the mailbox and those 3 "unread" messages appeared. Then I marked all as read and it corrected the problem.

Not exactly the best solution, but at least it worked for me until they release a fix.