Mail update in Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aaron5566, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aaron5566 macrumors regular

I recently just got Mountain Lion and I tried updating the Mail by clicking it. It has now been updating for hours and days when I think it's supposed to be only a few minutes. It seems to just get stuck about quarter way into the download. Now it just stays there forever. I tried force closing the Mail, restarting my Mac and once I reopen the Mail application it just returns back to the place where it got stuck. Anyone can help? Please I'm really desperate. This is ultimately the most frustrating thing I have experienced with my Mac.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try this, first quit Mail then click on your desktop to bring focus to the Finder. Press shift-command-g and you will get a popup. Enter ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData in that popup and hit enter. Look in that folder for a file called Envelope Index and delete that file. Now restart Mail. It should begin a fresh indexing of your mail folders/messages.

3. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Mail has been acting goofy for me too since the update. I've also had the "getting stuck" issue you have described as well as a few more. When we opened mail for the first time, it re-downloaded every message stored on the mail server. If we delete mail from the inbox, it doesn't go away- it reappears the next time we open mail. Finally, the number of unread messages mail says we have does not match what's actually there. Sometimes it say we have new messages but there are none. Other times it reports no new messages, but when I open the mailbox there are several new ones there. Mail has been the on hiccup I've seen since moving to Mountain Lion.

When I get home I'll have to try the suggesting by Weaselboy to see if it helps.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Open Mail's Activity window to see what it's getting stuck on.

5. aaron5566 thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't work. It says that the file is not found. I haven't even finished downloading the Mail. I can't fully download it. It just gets stuck half way...

----------

Sorry about this, I'm new to Mac and I can't seem to find it. Could you please tell me how to locate this? Greatly appreciate all the help you guys are giving me.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At what step are you getting a file not found message? I tried this on my Mountain Lion machine and the file is there.

7. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm away from my Mac at the moment, but I'm pretty sure under the 'Window' menu, there's a 'Show Activity' item available

8. aaron5566 thread starter macrumors regular

When I search for it in the Shift + Command + G . It just says "this file cannot be located." Let me see if I got this right. I can't close the Mail so I have to force close it. Then I'll click on my desktop so that the focus on the Finder. Then I Shift + Command + G and then enter the /Library/Mail/V2/MailData . Am I doing it right ?

----------

How do you get to the 'Window' menu ? I apologise about asking this dumb question..

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nope. You missed the first character (~). It's important, because that denotes your home folder. The way you entered it, it's searching the system-wide Library folder, which doesn't contain your mail.

jW

10. aaron5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!!! Life saver! Thank you so much! I finally can enter my Mail! But it says that the Index file is damaged. :O

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just so I am clear, with Mail quit you found the Envelop Index file in that folder and deleted it? After that and a restart of Mail it should rebuild the index.

12. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I deleted the suggested file, and when I restarted mail it launched as if it were the first time. My inbox now contains over 32k messages and when I open "activity" it has been caching messages since early this morning. Sadly, I've been unable to delete any of the messages- they just reload every time I click back to my mailbox.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Whoa... that is a lot of messages. I think you are going to just have to wait it out for them to all get synced and indexed. In activity is it making progress?

Just curious, who is your email provider? Reason I ask is many use GMail IMAP at default settings and that causes double the email downloads due to the inclusion of the All Mail folder in the sync. If you are using GMail IMAP, try what I posted here.

14. aaron5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah . That's what I did and it seems to be working fine now. Not getting that delete issue thing.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Excellent. :)

16. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Well, after nearly 18 hours of run-time, mail finally finished syncing nearly 35,000 messages. It has settled down at this point, and is no longer downloading all old messages. During the past day-and-a-half I had mail activity open and it was showing constant action.

My e-mail provider is Yahoo (nee Ameritech, SBC, etc..) and it is IMAP.