iPhone Mail updates really slowly

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by zenbrother, Oct 31, 2014.

1. zenbrother macrumors newbie

zenbrother

I turned on "push" for mail on my Iphone 6 running IOS8.1 and have noticed that my mail app is "not" updating very fast. Sometimes After I've read and deleted emails on my laptop they still show up as new mail on my phone till I open mail and wait a few seconds, only then it syncs...

This should be happening faster right? Is there another setting other than "push" to make mail sync faster?

Just seems weird it acts so sluggish....

Appreciated,
    zen

2. zenbrother thread starter macrumors newbie

zenbrother

3. Maverick1973 macrumors newbie

Push services broken in iOS 8 mail app

I am having this issue as well! I have been searching the web in an attempt to find someone else with the same issue. I thought I was the only one.

My thoughts:

1. This seems to be a small issue affecting only those who deal in massive amounts of email. I do find push services work, in the sense that new mail is pushed to my device, but it is no longer pushing anything but new messages.
    2. This happens across all iOS devices. I experience the same thing on iPad air, iPad mini, and iPhone 6+.
    3. I believe this "background sync" was purposefully disabled to give apple better battery performance numbers to advertise. Instead of allowing the user to decide if this was an appropriate usage of battery power they chose for us and turned it off on the back end.

This is an extremely frustrating bug and in my mind has completely crippled iOS. I can't believe it hasn't gotten more attention but I am convinced it only affects high volume users and apple isn't interested in "power users". They are now developing software for the masses. If the average user only gets a handful of emails per day they would gladly trade of an adequate enterprise email feature to give themselves higher battery life stats. It might be less frustrating if this was a feature we never had but this is just another case of apple removing a feature. It is most frustrating when using multiple devices. When I pick up an iPad i haven't used in 3 weeks it is unusable for 5 minutes while the crush of email data is synced back and forth between the iPad and wxchange server!

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

My push email notifications are also often delayed. I've posted about it here a couple of times and never gotten any responses.

5. NoBoMac macrumors 65816

Depends on mail service.

For example, Gmail used to support push, but no longer (was done via Exchange, which they no longer support).

6. Maverick1973 macrumors newbie

It has nothing to do with the company providing the email account.

An exchange account with push enabled should be updating messages to the inbox as well as the message status. If the message is read on another device that status should be pushed to all devices. That is how exchange and push work. This is also how iOS used to work.

I wish people would be more vocal about this. To anyone using more than one Apple device this should be a pretty frustrating bug. Apple will not fix it if no one is talking about it but that lends to my original point. I think in the end this is an issue affecting a very small number of "power users".

7. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

It is very much company dependent ...

For example, even though iCloud "supports push", its not the same implementation as an Exchange Server or Activesync protocol. In fact, its a derivative implementation of the IDLE command via IMAP protocol. That in itself is NOT true push, hence you will see delays especially with bulk emails.

If you are having issues with native Exchange servers, then yes, I will say its an issue because for me that works just fine. Even read status and all get pushed immediately across my devices.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

I am not having issues with Microsoft exchange and I get (unfortunately) hundreds of emails a day.

9. Maki Roc macrumors member

I have this problem too, and it has nothing to do with the volume of mail. I have noticed this because I have a desktop client open all day at work with the account set up as IMAP IDLE while on the phone it is setup as exchange and the messages do come very late. When the phone is in standby it would take forever for the message to arrive, however I noticed as soon as I wake the phone the mail is pushed immediately. It's as if the connection to the server is cutoff while on standby. I also noticed that the battery life has improved
    This started happening with iOS 8.