Mail vs. Entourage vs. .... Outlook? - need some help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jon08, Oct 7, 2009.

1. jon08 macrumors 68000

Ok, well I'm about to start using either Mail or Entourage for my yahoo and Gmail accounts. I know that for Yahoo you need to pay $19.99/year or so to get it work on Mail/Entourage so I guess I got no choice but to do so. This will be my first time ever using a mail app because for years I've used the website-based e-mail only, so I'm still not so familiar with these apps.

I've tried both Mail and Entourage and so far I like Entourage better. It just looks neater and seems to have more options than Mail (I might be wrong). Are there any downsides of Entourage I should be aware of? Is it possible to import all the birthday etc. alerts that I have on Yahoo mail calendar to Entourage calendar?

Also, is it possible for Entourage to notify you when you receive an e-mail the way Mail does?

Another thing: I heard that next year Outlook for Mac will be available with the release of Office 2010. Anybody know when MS plans to release it? Should I wait till then and just get Outlook instead or is the release date still quite remote?

2. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

Do you? I am with Yahoo.de and my wife with Yahoo.co.uk and we set up POP3 access with no charge. If Yahoo.com wants to charge, just use Yahoo.co.uk - unless the T&C have changed since we signed up and new members have to pay.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, you do, because when I tried to establish my Yahoo mail on Mail/Entourage, it wouldn't work while Gmail worked fine.

Btw, are you suggesting I should open an account on Yahoo.co.uk - meaning an entirely new e-mail account? If so, it wouldn't really make much sense to me - why not just create another Gmail account instead, a lot less hassle.......

4. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

That's odd. I have Yahoo working in Mail just fine - have done since OS X 10.0, and before that in Mozilla on OS 9.

Ah - you're probably talking about IMAP! Sorry - I assumed POP3, which is what I use. Could well be that they charge for IMAP.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's the POP access I was talking about... It says I'd need to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus in order for it to work on Mail etc.

6. gerabbi macrumors regular

I vote for the Apple mail.app it integrates with Safari, iCal, etc.
    and works well with gmail