Mail vs. Outlook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mitstoshi, Sep 22, 2015.

1. mitstoshi macrumors regular

Just got Office 2011 that includes Outlook. Do I use Mail alongside Outlook? I have never used Outlook before. any suggestion?

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Forget clunky Apple Mail.

Use Outlook you won't regret it. Far superior.

3. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

4. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, made mistake didn't get the chance to finish the replay. My question now is if I start using Outlook, do I just leave Mail or delete it from my iMac?

5. StyxMaker macrumors 68000

StyxMaker

Yes, I still have nightmares about having to use Outlook at work before I retired.

6. bgsnmky macrumors regular

HI there, I hope this is not taking over the thread but joining in.

I too have been using mail, but am looking at switching to Outlook..as I use it everyday at work. Tried macmail for 2years, but really want to switch. As the poster also asked - do you remove MAIL, or leave it in case you need those old emails that don't come over?

Other questions - as I was talking with a Mac Tech guy in the city area and he commented that outlook does NOT work with integrating your contacts. So for example if I have an iPhone/ipad etc and I add a phone number or someone's email address to it, it will NOT add it to my outlook. Apparently only if you have an email EXCHANGE server.

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

You can use both at the same time, leave mail and just start using outlook instead. You have also outlook for iOS .

For contacts you use microsofts own cloud service. Even using Google account as a go between works with Apple contacts. Have been using outlook.com with contacts connected over a Google account for a user for years. It syncs fine with Apple contacts. Just add it in service to sync with Facebook and the rest.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I
    Don't delete any Mac built-in applications. You'll run into a heap of trouble.

Is your email an Exchange account?

9. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Unless MicroSlop has fixed the problem, Outlook is unable to import email from OS X Mail. There was a problem with Outlook being unable to import the MBOX format from Mountain Lion and on.

10. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

I got three questions: When to stop using both and drop the Mail? Any way to export all Mail data to Outlook? And what is upgrade data base when Outlook is first open?

11. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you're set up as IMAP or Exchange and don't have any mail that's "On My Mac" you don't have to export/import. POP is a different story.

12. sixers3 macrumors newbie

hi
    i have one BIG question..please help.

i have iphone 6 few months now with ios 9, but i cant set up mail account (pop3) with any of app mail clients.
    can somebody tell me how could i set account to gmail inbox app? but most of all i hate that stock apple mail app doesnt work for me. if i set account with all info (like i do on my workstation - PC), outlook on PC stop working.
    unbelievable

help please

13. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

I have both IMAP and POP accounts. What should I do?

14. PhoenixDown macrumors regular

15. Oldmanmac macrumors 6502

What about all the previous mail? Do you get a massive bunch of mail? I've got Outlook, but use mammal daily. I don't want to go through all the junk once again.

16. mitstoshi thread starter macrumors regular

If IMAP is used, how can I receive email from a POP account?

17. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Change the POP to IMAP. Do you have a service that only has POP. Many only do IMAP these days and some have both POP and IMAP.

18. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I wouldn't switch. Outlook isn't worth the trouble unless all your contacts, calendars and mail are on Exchange.

19. bobbenedetti macrumors newbie

My mail is on an exchange server I switched to Outlook 2016 about 2 months ago when Mac Mail was flakey with Exchange servers. That seems to be resolved now with OS X 10.11.1 and I have returned to Mac Mail which I prefer to Outlook. also tried Mail Pilot and it didn't really do anything for me..I couldn't really get excited about its to do method of handling mail.

20. jahala macrumors regular

21. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Never been a fan of mail
    I download Gmail to my hone for personal use, and download outlook for my coege school email. So much better

22. jahala macrumors regular

I tried to switch to Outlook 2011, then to Outlook 2016. I lasted about three weeks the last time, then it was back to Mac Mail. I have come to depend heavily on search for finding old messages, and Outlook just cannot compare. The only thing I really need Outlook for is to schedule online meetings with Lync. If I could figure out how to use Outlook for the Exchange calendar without the email, I would be happy.

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just leave the old Mail app as is. Throw it off the dock and don't start it. It is as if it never was. Unlink it from icloud.
    Then just use outlook. I don't see the problem. If you need some old mail you can just start up the Mail app. Kill the Internet if you don't want to bother with it trying to sync and download newer mails, while you search the archives.
    If you don't start the Mail app it isn't there. There is no hidden background tasks running afaik.
    Just throw it off the dock. No need to uninstall or delete internet accounts.

24. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

First, Outlook is not only a Mail app. It also integrates contacts and calendars. If you use email to make and accept appointments/schedule meetings on a regular basis, then you'll want to maintain your contacts and calendars in Outlook, too. HOWEVER, Outlook's contacts and calendars do not integrate with Messages/iMessage and FaceTime, so if you're using Messages and/or FaceTime extensively... having your contacts and calendars in Outlook can be a major pain. (And maintaining more than one contacts app and more than one calendar app is just asking for headaches.)

Maybe you'll like Outlook better as a mail app, maybe not. One man's "clunky" is another's heaven. IMHO, "clunky" is the way Outlook does NOT integrate with the rest of the Apple universe.

Both Mail and Outlook offer optimal integration - Mail with the rest of the Mac and iOS world, Outlook with Microsoft's. Which of those worlds is more important to your workflow may help determine which you choose.

If your workplace has an Exchange Server and everyone uses Outlook... that's an excellent reason for you to use Outlook. If, however, you're dependent on iCloud for syncing your contacts and calendars and need very little in the way of integration with your employment environment... Stay away from Outlook - any possible benefits are unlikely to offset the problems. Just because a program comes bundled with Office doesn't mean you must use it in order to get full value from Office.

25. hanser macrumors regular

I finde Outlook which I use at work much "clunkier" than Mail which I use at home.