'Mail' vs 'Thunderbird' & 'Safari' vs 'Firefox'

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marcel-v, May 26, 2008.

1. marcel-v macrumors regular

I'm a relative noob, but can anyone please give some pros and cons for each and which are better or more secure for example?

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

This is what i use Mail with firefox
    mail
    -can easily use ical with
    -like the ToDo list function in it
    -I think tags in mail are better than thunderbird
    firefox
    -I use a lot of the extensions
    -It is slower than safari
    -can sync my bookmarks with boot camp partiton

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Err? What?

4. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

it is true safari is faster than firefox 2, but in firefox 3 i heard it is the fastest browser

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Yeah, but I have also heard of sqlite cache clearing problems that are effecting Linux boxes at the moment that possibly could effect OSX too.

I use Webkit, which you can get here, http://webkit.org/, which is the open source Safari that has new builds daily.

Has firefox gone OSX Native, or is Camino still considered the Native Firefox?

7. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Safari is more Mac-like and looks better.

Firefox has plug-ins, better features and does a better job with Tabs. (IMHO)

I used Thunderbird on the PC for two years and used it briefly in OS X during my Mac transition. I prefer Mail on the Mac to Thunderbird. I just find it easier, more attractive, and better designed.

8. bed macrumors member

I switched from Thunderbird on Windows, to using Mail on Mac, Mail is more polished on the edges, and more importantly integrates MUCH better with spotlight and time machine due to the way it stores its emails. Havn't regretted it one bit.

I use neither Safari or Firefox (although I have both installed for testing purposes). Opera 9.5 all the way.

9. steeler macrumors regular

I also use Mail and Firefox.

Mail because it integrates well with iCal and I like the interface and features. Thunderbird is good too.

Firefox because I like to use a few plugins. I also use Safari on occasion.

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

There is no “open source Safari”. Safari uses Webkit. All that happens is the Safari team chooses a recent, trouble free build of Webkit to integrate into the latest version of Safari.

Mail has data detectors, which is a major plus.

Mail handles multiple accounts nicely, with its unified view but also the ability to see just the messages from one account.

Smart Mailboxes are nice (although Thunderbird also has saved searches) and the stationery in Mail is very good too, plus you can make your own if you choose.

If your used to Thunderbird and very happy with it then stay with it, if you have used neither and are looking for the first time then I believe Mail is best at this point in time.

Safari vs Firefox has been done so many times. It comes down to this:
    Safari has the better rendering engine (faster, advanced feature support (CSS, HTML 5 etc.) more portability), Firefox has the add ons, skins and the cross platform appeal.

11. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I use Mail, because it's well integrated and such.

I always used Firefox over Safari, as Firefox extensions are just really nice. However, Firefox 3 is even more Mac-like than Safari, (IMO) so now I get the best of both worlds.

12. Farodin macrumors newbie

@Home OSX: FF + Mail
    @Home Windows XP (just for exceptions): FF + Thunderbird
    @Office Windows Vista: FF + Outlook (Exchange)

on my mac i prefer FF. i use several very usefull extensions and overall i have the better feeling as with safari (e.g. tabbing). for my mails i use mail. its very easy to use but functional and the synconisation with my iphone is easy.

13. obdave macrumors member

I went through all this too when I switched to Mac about a month ago. I was using Eudora on the PC and loved it, and actually installed it on the Mac before coming to the conclusion that I'd be better off with Mail.

Mail is very well integrated with iCal and Address Book. It handles multiple accounts (what Eudora called "Personalities") well. There are a few minor irritations as well, but overall I like it.

Qualcomm handed the Eudora source over to the Mozilla project some time ago and is now called Penelope. I haven't heard any indication when this might be released. I'll probably play with it when that happens, but for now I'm happy with Mail.

I prefer Firefox to Safari 1) because of tabbed browsing, and 2) the Firefox plugins rock. I especially like the ad-blocker - it greatly speeds up page loads because you're not loading advertisements. Firefox feels quicker in general. I have encountered a few pages that don't like Firefox on the Mac (CNN videos, for example). There's a plugin called "User Agent Switcher" that helps with that. There's also one that allows you to grab .flv YouTube videos and download them.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it does not affect OSX. (seems to be a ext3 only bug, and each major linux distro should have the patch already in time for firefox 3 final)

15. jive turkey macrumors 6502

I use Firefox for a million reasons. I think 3.0 RC1 is awesome on many levels.

I use Mail over Thunderbird for only two reasons. First, the search is 100x better than in Thunderbird. I have thousands of messages in several different mailboxes and can find anything instantly using Mail. You can't search message contents at all in Thunderbird.

The 2nd reason is integration with iCal. It is nice to be able to add events to iCal without ever leaving a message window.

16. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

The only reason that I don't like firefox is the inability to use mutitouch. I can't use three fingers to go back and forth between websites and I found that I use that feature a lot in Safari.

So until that doesn't get implemented, I don't see myself using Firefox. And Safari is so easier to use!

17. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Mail vs Thunderbird, Safari vs Firefox

Yes.

Honestly I think there is no clear winner. I use Mail for my personal email, I use Thunderbird to connect to my work servers. I use Safari most of the time, then I get tired of it and switch to Firefox (v3). Then I get tired and switch back to Safari.

There is really no killer feature to separate these programs. Use them and decide which one you personally prefer.