Mail w/Mobile Me & .Mac addresses?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wngraham, Jul 9, 2008.

1. wngraham macrumors regular

This morning I was playing around and added a new account into mail for Mobile Me. I apparently got the settings right (incoming and outgoing servers, etc.), but here's the issue:

It doesn't appear you can have both your .mac and Mobile Me addresses in Mail, as it retrieves all your mail and folders twice.

I realize they're both technically the same account, and any mail sent to one will be recieved by both, but it'd be nice to be able to send mail from both addresses in Mail.

Any ideas?

2. kolax macrumors G3

I changed my main email to @me.com, but created a new alias a few days ago that has a more formal name, and I'm keeping that as @mac.com

So when I send an email, I can choose whether I want to send it using my @me.com or @mac.com email.

3. wngraham thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmmm....

I wonder if once the switch over to Mobile Me is finalized if both the @mac and @me addresses will be reflected in Mail's dropdown box in the "From" field?

4. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The same thing is happening to me. Since they haven't officially launched Mobile Me I'm going to wait and see what happens in the next few days. If it stays the way it is, I'm going to set a rule in mail that if account is Mobile Me, to move the messages to a different mailbox on my computer so I don't have double notification/duplicate messages in my inbox (or a rule to just to delete the message, once I'm confident they're truly duplicates).

5. kolax macrumors G3

Both @mac and @me addresses will still be available. Apple isn't dropping all @mac email addresses. They are giving you the option, to use one or the other, or use both.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can put both .mac and me.com accounts in Mail, but it's redundant, since it's the same account. That's why you're getting duplicate messages. They all point to the same inbox. You have one .Mac primary account and up to 5 aliases. Mail to any of these 6 addresses goes to the same inbox. With MobileMe, double that. Now you have the same account@me.com, as well as all 5 aliases@me.com. But all 12 addresses still point to the same single inbox.

7. jplan2008 macrumors regular

That's not the issue the OP is talking about. Without doing anything, you will RECEIVE email addressed either @mac.com or @me.com. To SEND mail from @me.com from desktop or iPhone, you have to set up that account. If you don't do that, you won't be given the @me.com address as a "from" choice. As of now, if you do that, incoming mails are duplicated -- so dock count is double, and inbox has duplicates. Hopefully this will change. Otherwise, like I said, I'll use some sort of rules in Mail, but on iPhone, I'll only add one address (can't decide if I'm going to start using @me, or stick with @mac as the one I give out to people)

http://www.mac.com/web/en/Tips/13D657FB-E5B6-45B1-BF8B-B36FC5A789E7.html

8. wngraham thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly - as of right now you won't be able to send mail from both accounts, as setting them up seperately will result in double messages.

9. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Not sure if this would work, but couldn't you...

1) set up the .me account as usual.

2) In the preferences/accounts menu, go to the SMTP list and add another SMTP server for .mac?

10. wngraham thread starter macrumors regular

The incoming servers would be the same though, so you'd still get the same (doubled) inbox.

11. jplan2008 macrumors regular

Not sure what you mean. Both accounts need to be enabled to send from either/or. The incoming-outgoing servers are already different for .mac vs. @me.

The following works as of now. Despite stories that push is turned on, I'm not sure if that's true, and don't know if this will work when push is really turned on:
    In preferences-accounts-advanced, uncheck one account "include when automatically checking for new mail." I did this, and sent mail to myself @ mac and @me from web-based Yahoo, and each message showed up, and only showed up once.

We know they're working on system tonight, so best to wait and see.

Otherwise, Wngraham: like I said: set rule so that messages from one account are moved to a mailbox on your mac, so there won't be duplicates in inbox.

12. kolax macrumors G3

No no..

I have one account in Mail for MobileMe. It appears Mail automagically found my other alias's for that account and has them as an option for sending mail. Go to the account settings for the MobileMe and then Edit Email Aliases.

I don't receive duplicates since I don't have duplicate accounts.

13. RAS macrumors newbie

I don't have duplicate accounts as well... I had .mac, whicch was converted to me.com and they both should work as one (as aliases).
    Still, whenever I receive a message, some minute later, I receive a duplicate message.

I couldn't find an explanation nor a solution... form what I read, "the cloud" is duplicatting the messages...
    Pretty silly.

14. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you want the option to send from both, do the following.

1) Go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts
    2) Select your MobileMe account
    3) Under Account Information, look at the Email Address field.
    4) Make sure both your me.com and mac.com email addresses are in this field, seperated by a comma.
    4) Now, when you try to send a message from that account you'll have the choice of which email address to send it from.