Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamJetWorm

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Since installing OS X Lion I'm getting a few shutdown issues.
When I attempt to shut down or restart, I'm often getting the following error message:

"You haven't been logged out because the application Mail failed to quit. To try logging out again, quit Mail and choose Apple menu > Log Out."

I'm wondering if this is a Lion or Mail issue? I've got plenty of RAM (8GB)
So is any body else getting a similar issue? :confused:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
When I attempt to shut down or restart, I'm often getting the following error message:

"You haven't been logged out because the application Mail failed to quit. To try logging out again, quit Mail and choose Apple menu > Log Out."

I've had issues with mail.app from time to time, mostly on Snow Leopard but I would imagine there are some on Lion as well. Have you tried to use force quit to get rid of mail.app? If mail.app isn't playing nicely, you could always use a third party email program like thunderbird. Mail.app can't get in your way if you never launch it. BTW, I use mail.app for everyday use but I have Thunderbird installed and have used it a handful of times when mail.app wasn't acting right.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I don't have Lion just yet, but I've had problems with my snow leopard mail from time to time where the mail wouldn't shut down. Force quitting mail in the dock isn't available. What I have to do then is open activity monitor highlight mail and then click on force quit. That kills it.

fixerman

macrumors member
May 17, 2009
London

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Also I am finding that since the Lion upgrade that Mail is very slow to download my eGmails.

Any advice from anyone?

sosyked

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
Check your security settings

There is a preference that is set to log your computer out after a duration of inactivity. So first it goes to sleep, then if you don't wake it after a certain amount of time it logs you out. I agree, it was annoying.

SuperMike1948

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2013
Having problems with Mail not quitting

If you are having the problem that many/most Mac users are having with MAIL not quiting when you want to close down and you have to force quit MAIL :(.
Well the answer is simple. Open MAIL, open Preferences, go to accounts, highlight your apple email account, near the bottom of this page is a box TLS. The default is blank.... this is wrong and should not be the default. open the drop-down menue and pick com.apple etc etc. Now save, That's it, problem solved.:):):) Clever are'nt I :)

flick

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2006
Worked for Me!

Awesome supermike, this worked for me. I'm still on Lion.

Don't have an apple email account, just checked that box in all my accounts. Lightning-fast mail quit now.

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2015
Having problems with Mail not quitting

If you are having the problem that many/most Mac users are having with MAIL not quiting when you want to close down and you have to force quit MAIL :(.
Well the answer is simple. Open MAIL, open Preferences, go to accounts, highlight your apple email account, near the bottom of this page is a box TLS. The default is blank.... this is wrong and should not be the default. open the drop-down menue and pick com.apple etc etc. Now save, That's it, problem solved.:):):) Clever are'nt I :)

You save my life. 8 years looking for a real solution for that issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.