Mail woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sorkvild, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Attachments that are less than 1 megabyte take about 5-10 minutes to send, and anything over 1 MB won't send at all! (no, I don't have dialup :p ) I'm told (upon Activity Viewer hanging at 100% for several minutes)

The server response was: 4.3.2 Please try again later

Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings.

Message from: [my name and email address]

and I can Edit Message, Use Selected Server, or Try Again Later.

It's been a while since I've sent attachments so I have no idea when this actually started, but I've never had problems before, regardless of the attachment's size (as long as it fit in the person's inbox and didn't go above my limit)

Messages with no attachments are fine. Anyone have any idea? Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Tricky. Can you set up another email client to check if it's a problem with your email host, your ISP or your computer?

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Who's your ISP??? Sounds like you might have already filled your memory allotment from your own ISP. Try getting a free Gmail account and enabling the POP feature, and send your Mail emails thru Google.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sounds like your e-mail provider blocks attachments that are over 1Mb in size. Did it used to work with other e-mail clients on the same e-mail account? If so I'm not really sure what the problem is.

5. Sorkvild thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it is something with my computer...
    I just sent a 3.5 MB mp3 from another account on our other comp and received it on mine with no problem. My ISP is Road Runner. I've never used another client besides Mail, but I'll try Thunderbird and see if the problem persists. IS there any sort of Mail equivalent to "Reset Safari..."??

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have a firewall enabled? Although not the same as resetting Safari, a general equivalent might be to reset the preferences. This is a bit of a pain to do though, but there's a way to test if it'll work before doing any damage. Open a new user account in System Preferences. This will give you a fresh set of preferences. Now, set up Mail in this account and test if the transfer speeds are adequate. :)

7. L3X macrumors 6502a

I have a mail question, i have a few different accounts setup on my mail, is there a way to easily switch from a different account. I know Outlook has this function.

For instance, I get an email from my work account, i reply and want to send it out from my person account. Is there an easy way to do this?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When sending an email, you can click on the button next to the Subject text box and select Reply-To Address Field. Put the email address you want replies to be sent to in this box and you should be set. I know this doesn't directly do what you're asking for, but does it help? :)