Mail won't connect to POP3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macstatic, Dec 16, 2013.

1. macstatic macrumors 6502a

I'm suddenly getting problems with Mail.app not fetching mail from a POP3 account. The spinning activity indicator just keeps spinning.

I've tried configuring another email application on another computer (same server settings, password etc.) which works fine.
    And a different POP3 account in Mail.app works just fine, so this is getting a bit strange. Are there any maintenance tasks I can do, reset something etc?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Clearly your issue is not with POP3. It is with the specific account that you are trying to set up. My guess is that you have the wrong settings.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Agree with post above. Check your settings -- or more specifically, check to see whether your ISP has CHANGED the settings that you normally use to connect to it.

This past week my own ISP changed a couple of settings used for its POP service -- found that out one morning when I could send mail, but could no longer receive...

You could use Mail's "Connection Doctor" (in Window menu) to help in the process.

Also, a good way to test whether you're back online is to "send mail to yourself", and then see if you received it.

4. Macmonter, Dec 16, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

Macmonter macrumors regular

Macmonter

I, too, recently lost my and my wife's POP3 (Yahoo) connections, but each of our IMAP accounts still work. I used iMail's "Connection Doctor" but I don't understand the confusing alphanumerics for threads, ports and sockets. It's possible Yahoo sent an announcement about a change, but I may have deleted it thinking it was spam. I will search Yahoo's "Help", but I don't expect any!

I suppose I could live with IMAP, but I much prefer the clean, simple interface of POP3. I don't have any mobile devices so I have no real need for the clutter of IMAP. Also, all my POP3 Inbox emails don't appear in my IMAP Inbox. If I can't get my POP3 back, is it possible to move the old POP3 Inbox emails to the IMAP inbox?

UPDATE: PROBLEM SOLVED, at least my Yahoo problem is solved! Yahoo "Help" stated a new security upgrade was recently made which requires POP3 users to manually change port settings and to have the SSL box checked. I made the suggested changes and my and my wife's POP3 are working again! Yahoo's site with the new POP3 setting is at:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN4724

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys!
    The problem was indeed with Yahoo's server as they've somehow changed their settings without alerting me. Turning on SSL and using port 995 was the solution.

As for getting everything to work when setting up the same account in another email app (Thunderbird).... I suppose that app had those settings turned on by default.