Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
My wife's computer (G4 iBook, 10.3, AT&T email provider) recently refuses to get or send email (spontaneously it would appear - no installs or updates made). The error that keeps coming up is that it is "Unable to verify SSL server xxx".

I have checked and rechecked the settings at least 10 times.

I tried deleting then reloading the server certificate (in just about every keychain possible user, anchors, cert) and then copied it from my computer that works (same server) and then reloaded the one AT&T provides all with no success.

I tried deleting and rebuilding com.apple.mail.plist

I have searched virtually every site and while there are some with similar problems, their fixes don't work for me.

Finally I downloaded Thunderbird and used the same settings and it works flawlessly the first time.

My computer (MacBook, 10.4) and an iPod touch can both download email without issue and have seen no difference during this same timeframe.

My wife is fine with Thunderbird but I'm not quite satisfied just bypassing the problem. Anyone who could help me fix it I would be much indebted to.

Thanks,
Jeff

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I have checked and rechecked the settings at least 10 times.
You need to check them for the 11th time.

Finally I downloaded Thunderbird and used the same settings and it works flawlessly the first time.

Maybe you need to step away and come back later. When you find the solution, you will find that your Mail settings were entered incorrectly. Have you been to the AT&T Help page for Mail?

jhaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Attempt #11, no help

Trying it again doesn't seem to be the issue (I did just be able to give the honest reply). I have been at this for nearly 2 weeks and so the 10 times was merely a rough estimate. I have gone through Tech Support, I went to the AT&T help page that applies to me (not the same as your link) but all with no success.

http://help.att.net/docs/howto/email/msie/how_xxx_macosx_cfg-acces2wnet.htm?platform=none#103

I opened up Mail and Thunderbird settings for side by side and they are identical. Again, there is no reason to think they would have changed since nothing was done to them. I created another user account and still can't get Mail to work but yet can get Thunderbird up easily.

All this plus leads me to believe it is a problem specific to Mail and it's inability to verify AT&T's SSL certificate.

Thanks for trying,
Jeff

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

http://help.att.net/docs/howto/email/msie/how_xxx_macosx_cfg-acces2wnet.htm?platform=none#103

I opened up Mail and Thunderbird settings for side by side and they are identical. ...
So, you are trying to access your messages from outside your mail provider's domain. It is a good idea to get things working within its domain before going outside. There can be subtle gotcha's with any setup. Trying to access messages from the outside unnecessarily complicates things when you have other problems.

jhaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
SSL and Mail is the issue

Connecting through the dialup service is an option but the settings don't utilize SSL and so it bypasses what appears to be at the root of the issue, Mail can't (but Thunderbird can) verify the SSL server.

jhaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
And of course not having a phone line further complicates the matter.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
can you post the error line from the "show details" section of connection doctor? Hopefully it is more specific.

jhaas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Mail 1.3 has no such thing

Connection Doctor was not implemented until Mail 2.0 and version 1.3 ships with OS X 10.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.