Mail Won't Launch

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Silverstring, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Silverstring macrumors member

When I open Mail for the 1irst time after installing Lion, I get the dialog box popup that says that my messages need to be upgraded the first time I use mail.

"Click Continue to upgrade your messages now, or click Quit to upgrade later."

I click continue, and the box changes, indicating the messages are being upgraded, but it immediately quits. The upgrade boz is not even up for a half second. Trying to launch mail again brings me back to square one, and the same thing happens again.

I practice inbox zero and all of my accounts are IMAP, so I can't imagine it's choking on my inbox load.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? Any ideas for solutions? I tried searching to no avail. Thank you.

2. GadgetComa macrumors newbie

I had this same problem with Mail when it tried to upgrade my database. I ran SpeedMail (http://www.1802.it/speedmail.php) and that fixed it. I'm not sure exactly what it does, but I'm guessing it cleans up Mail's cache and/or index. Give it a shot and let me know if it works.

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I had a similar issue with Mail (it kept freezing) until I restarted my MBP..then, no problems since...

4. klik macrumors newbie

Speedmail worked - thanks!

I found this thread after googling my Lion Mail upgrade problem (same as OP). Thanks GadgetComa for the suggestion to use Speedmail - it fixed it.