Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
Mail is not removing my donloaded mail from my ISP's server. I've tried swithcing the option in mail preferences off and on again. When it's finished downloading I get a brief message saying it is removing them from the server but it doesn't. When I choose to remove them manually via - Preferences/Accounts/Advanced/Remove Now - then it removes them OK.

Any ideas?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
colinet said:
Mail is not removing my donloaded mail from my ISP's server. I've tried swithcing the option in mail preferences off and on again. When it's finished downloading I get a brief message saying it is removing them from the server but it doesn't. When I choose to remove them manually via - Preferences/Accounts/Advanced/Remove Now - then it removes them OK.

Any ideas?
Your ISP might have an IMAP mail service, where mail stays on the server after it's retrieved - useful for those that use both mail clients at home and webmail provided by their ISP or other email provider like .Mac. IMAP mail stays on the server until it's deleted (Mail has a 7 day delay by default between deleting mail messages and their removal from the server for IMAP accounts) or you manually remove it as described above. Consider yourself lucky if that's the case and start making use of any webmail services your ISP provides if you haven't already done so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.