Mail wont sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rhopper, Aug 10, 2010.

1. rhopper macrumors newbie

I am tired of forgetting to erase emails on my phone for hours if I leave it sit for a week or so without checking.

how do I make it so when I delete the mail in my mail on my iMac, that my phone inbox reflects that?? there is no way to MASS delete the email on your phone so what the heck??

2. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

If you're using IMAP or Exchange, your mail boxes should sync with the server.

You can also bulk-delete your mail messages on the iPhone. Click the Edit button on the top right corner, select the messages you wish to delete, and hit the Delete button.

3. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

thats a half-assed bulk delete though I still have to go through and select all 300+ emails before I hit delete.. i am completely appalled that apple hasnt added this feature yet.. its called "SELECT ALL" which would select every email, then you can delete at once.. or "SELECT SIMILAR" which would select every email from that company/person and then you can delete them all at once...
    Grr :mad:

oh and Im pretty sure my email is IMAP, but it doesnt update...

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

If you've deleted/read the mail in your inbox and you want to rid the badge showing the unread email on your iPhone without "doing the half-assed way", simply delete your email account and re-add it, and when it syncs it will show no new messages.

So basically you're saying you leave your iPhone unchecked for weeks at a time?

5. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

I am saying that I hardly check my mail on my phone mainly because I've fallen behind deleting them.. there is over 1000 emails now.

I asked my email provider if he is running IMAP or POP, and he said IMAP is running but if that were the case it should update when I delete an email both on the mac and the iphone... hmmm

6. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Maybe you haven't properly set up the mail in your iPhone since it seems you're not using a standard provider but a private/personal email provider.

7. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

i just looked on my mac and it says my email is POP.. so now I have to figure out how to change it..

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Since you're not giving specifics on your Provider, then I cannot help you.

Talk with your email provider and they should be able to help you set up your email through your iPhone with IMAP/exchange so that it syncs correctly.

If they cannot help you, I suggest moving providers (gmail/yahoo/aol work fine) and forward your emails to your new address.

9. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, apparently I'm retarded and had it on POP this whole time.. I just switched it to IMAP and bam, works like a champ!

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

and you did this how?

11. rhopper thread starter macrumors newbie

just deleted the account from mail, and re-added it but made sure I clicked "IMAP" in the dropdown box.