Mail (Yosemite) missing important feature I've used for years

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Feb 12, 2015.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I often want to (need to) include screengrabs in the body of my text—today, for example, after writing to my father, carefully describing (he's 94 years old) how to send an email to the whole family, I wanted to add a number of screengrabs so that he'd 'see' what I was talking about.
    So I put my cursor on the line below "Here's the New Message icon that you need to click on, and dragged a screengrab of the New Message icon over.
    The screengrab got added, but to the very bottom of my note.
    (may not seem like a big deal, but if you're needing to add 8 or 9 different screengrabs to the body of an email, and you need them to be in specific places, it's a huge waste of time).
    After trying different things, I phoned Apple, and was told that being able to add attachments to a specific place (like, where you want it, and where you've got your cursor blinking) no longer works in Yosemite's version of Mail. It was something you could do in Mail... right up until Yosemite.

Is Apple dumbing Mail down, as they dumbed down Pages, just because way more people use iPhones than MacBook Pros, and they'd rather have a single version of an app (principally designed for iPhone users) than an app that works for actual computer users?
    I gave up on Pages because Pages dropped the 'Facing Pages' view recently. Why? Well, iPhone users can't fit 2 pages, side-by-side, on their tiny screens, so... just drop it from the app, even though people who use MacBook Pros and Mac Pros and iMacs, with lovely big screens, can see two facing pages, and frankly, if you're writing a book or a brochure, NEED TO SEE facing pages.
    Can't see them any longer in Pages, which is the reason a lot of people just gave up on it.
    Sorry to rant... but I'm afraid this latest dropped feature in Mail is a sign of larger things.
    malch

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Are you grabbing a file that is the screen cap? I just tried and the image went right to where I wanted it to be.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

In the Mail menu go to Edit --> Attachments... and then uncheck "Always Insert Attachments at End of Message" :apple:

4. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much. Solved the problem! Sorry for my rant. (I wish there was an elegant solution like this to my problem with Pages, but that's another story).
    Regards,
    malch