Mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMikeT, Jan 15, 2008.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Has anyone else had trouble retrieving their mail via iPhone's Mail.app after upgrading to 1.1.3?

I have Gmail set up as POP with two accounts and synced through my computer on my iPhone and it cannot download of my mail. Just wondering if this was a problem anyone encountered before I write into Apple.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

my gmail is fine. But why do you use pop... You know gmail now has IMAP right?

3. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Damn, I need to figure out what's going on then.

I use POP because I prefer to use it.

4. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Update...

I got Gmail working on my iPhone. However, I had to manually set up Gmail on my iPhone and I am assuming that it is retrieving mail via IMAP instead of POP. This might pose a problem if I try to synch my phone back to my Mac as I have Gmail set up to retrieve mail via POP in Mail.app.

Any guesses on a workaround?

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

use iMap for both. iPhone and mail.app will solve the syncing issues.

6. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I was using Gmail with POP, but the update yesterday changed it to IMAP.

7. jddb77 macrumors newbie

iMikeT, I'm having similar issues with mail now that I've upgraded. Some messages aren't downloaded and I get the little gray box prompting me to downloand the remainder of the message but touching it does nothing.
    Anybody ?
    I have gmail as imap.

8. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

I am using gmail using imap and it is working just fine. Have you tried deleting the account info from your phone and reestablishing the account? Why are you using POP, imap is better.

Has anyone else noticed since the update that gmail on the iPhone is much better now and it will actually sync via imap. It is great. I used to hate the way my gmail looked on my iphone, and now i love it!

9. Hames macrumors newbie

I am having the exact same problem. I prefer using pop on my iPhone because I like to be able to read and delete on my phone, while keeping a copy to file on my computer in the mail.app... This was working perfect before the update, and now it has automatically set me up with iMap.

Does anyone know how to configure the settings back to just POP with no iMap?e

10. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

Not sure how to fix your issue, but please people it is IMAP not iMap! I know Apple has gotten iUs used to iPuting iEverything but IMAP has been around for a while and it is an acrynm and so the whole thing should be capitalized.

Internet Message Access Protocol

/iRant off

11. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Why should I use IMAP? In your opinion, how will it benefit my digital life?

12. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'm with you on that. That's exactly my issue with IMAP, that if you delete a message on the phone, you delete it on the server as well.

13. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

IMAP allows all messages to remain on the server and that is the central sync point. This way if you change anything will mail.app it will also change it on the server. The same goes for your iPhone, you make a change on the phone and it will make it on the server. This way you NEVER have to worry about being out of sync... like "oh i deleted that message on my mail.app folder but it is still there when i use my iPhone cause I am using pop". You delete once.

Here is a good article

http://www.achab.com/common/page.cfm/13/10

Why would you want messages on your computer that were not on the server, especially with gmail? Gmail gives you a huge amount of space so if you want to keep every email message you can and you would not have to worry about space. Personally I hate having to delete messages in more then one place, if I delete them i want them gone forever. Well actually with gmail i archive almost everything, since that is the power of that particular email system, being able to google through your email.

14. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

15. Hames macrumors newbie

I understand your point, but I set up all my folders on my mail.app. The iPhone syncs with folders set up on gmail, which are different than the ones set up on my computers mail.app. My experience has been that if I read an new message on my phone, it will never make it to my computers mail.app, it becomes filed/archived in my google mail server.... does that make any sense, or am I way off??

IMAP seems to be a great concept, but I don't believe it will sync with the folders in my mail.app. Unless I am mistaken???

16. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

With POP, I feel like I have more control over what I do with my mail vs. IMAP.

17. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I completely understand you point as I am in the same boat. It definitely seems like we have more control with our mail via POP than with IMAP.

18. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

Gmail might be different since it uses the "archiving" system. With IMAP any change you make in mail.app, or on iPhone or even at www.gmail.com they should all sync. IE you make a change in mail.app to your folders you are actually making it on the server and if you are using IMAP for everything then you will see that where ever you check your gmail. That is the point of IMAP. You no longer have a "local" copy vs the "server" copy like POP3. If you change a folder on mail.app it will be reflected everywhere else. If this is what you want then IMAP is better because it is a server view. I have not played around too much with gmail and IMAP yet but i know my exchange account at work uses IMAP and so anything I do with Entourage is reflected on my iPhone and vise versa.

Gmail might work different though. I know with my mail.app I use POP3 for my gmail and it shows me everything, including all my archived messages.

19. Hames macrumors newbie

Great! That was the info I was looking for.... So, I need to adjust my mail.app on my computer to use IMAP. My mail.app must be set up only to use POP while my iPhone is using IMAP.

So, in your experience, do you think that folders newly created in the mail.app will become newly created folders on gmail.com as well as my iPhone once they are all synced with IMAP?

20. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Update...

So I have manually setup Gmail on my iPhone to retrieve using POP. I am no longer syncing Mail.app and my iPhone though iTunes.

Now the meat of the problem is that Mail.app on my mac is current with retrieving mail off of Gmail's server via POP. However, my iPhone is a day behind. What's the deal?

21. kbunch macrumors member

kbunch

iMikeT

Not sure if this will help but I found this link in my gmail about the iPhone update.

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=86615

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

GMail has gone on/off line the last few weeks but after a restart it works fine. Not sure why

.mac mail never has any problems

23. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the link. But I had figured that POP was converted into IMAP after the update. Actually, read my next post as I have an update...

24. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Update...

So, since installing iPhone software 1.1.3, Gmail retrieved via POP on both my Mac's Mail.app and on my iPhone were so out of sync and extremely messed up that I ended up deleting my Gmail accounts on both platforms. I have resorted to having to re-enable POP retrieval in Gmail (through the web) and will set up Mac's Mail.app and iPhone's Mail when I return in a bit.

25. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Great sales pitch... You should work for Apple at one of their Apple retail stores.