Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stfraw, Sep 30, 2009.

1. stfraw macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So my girlfriend "inadvertently" deleted the Mail app from my Macbook... It seems Notes was deleted with it. Does anyone know if I can get these from anywhere or am I going to have to reinstall Mac OS X?

Also, since then, iCal's been acting strange. When the app is running, the buttons along the bottom are empty. When I quit the app the icon disappears, leaving only the date. Any clues as to whether or not these two things are linked?

Thanks in advance.

Steph

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't have to reinstall OS X but you can repair the install I think, so that the Mail will be reinstalled.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Use Pacifist to install Mail (and/or iCal) only. You'll need your system restore discs.

4. stfraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both so much for your speedy replies.

re: miles01110
    I seem to have mislaid my system restore discs. Any way I can do this without them?

re: Hellhammer
    Any chance you can just point me in the direction of that installation repair function?

Thanks again,

Steph

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, you need the discs. You can get new ones from Apple, I don't think they are particularly expensive. Or if you know someone with the exact same model Macbook you can use those.

Also fwiw I've never heard of a "Repair Installation" function in OS X, but would be interested to find out about it if it does indeed exist...

6. stfraw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again for your speedy reply and help miles01110... I've called up Apple and they're sending me the disc I need free of charge! Man, I love Apple... Switching was the best decision I've ever made...

Thanks again for your help.

PS: I don't know how it works on Macs because I haven't had to reinstall the OS yet, but on Windows when you insert the system restore discs it comes up with a choice of "re-install" or "repair"... That might have been what Hellhammer was referring to...

Thanks!

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Basically it's the same as upgrade, you reinstall OS X again without formatting.