Mailing iPhone to Apple for repair?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Falcon9, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

Hi,

I'm wondering what others experiences have been when it comes to sending something to Apple for repair. My 6s has been accumulating quite a bit of dust under the display in the upper left corner, and also I have this weird (backlight?) issue where I have a "thin line of less brightness" (not really sure how to describe in words) running vertically up the display towards the left side. It's not really noticeable on a white screen, but certain colours (like blues or greys for example) really make it noticeable.

Anyway, my warrantee expires next month so I'm thinking I should see about getting it repaired before then. The nearest Apple store is a 5hr drive away so I am thinking about contacting Apple online to see about mailing it in for repair under warrantee. I'm wondering how the experience was for those who have been through the process? Was it fast? Was the quality of the repair as good as new, etc?

Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I did it a few times and it was pretty quick and easy.
    They send me the box. I put in my faulty phone and dropped it off at the ups store.
    You can track online the whole process. If and when they received it, if they approved the replacement and the tracking number when they mail it out.
    It's about a 5 business day process.

3. Falcon9 thread starter macrumors member

Falcon9

Thanks. I just went ahead and setup a repair with Apple. The guy I was chatting with claims that I should receive a new device! :) I guess I will have to wait and see what transpires, but so far I am pretty impressed with Apple's customer support (this is the first time I've had to use it).

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Apple has some of the best service you will ever find. Make sure you do a full encrypted backup before sending it off. I would also reset my phone before mailing. Just in case.

5. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

By the way, it will not be brand-new, it will be refurbished. It will have a new battery and probably a new screen.

6. epca12 macrumors regular

My worry is when mailing it in that they may not notice the fault, which is why I prefer to do it in store. It obviously depends on what the problem is though, I am sure they are probably better at it but I don't take the risk

7. Falcon9 thread starter macrumors member

Falcon9

Yeah I plan on doing a full factory reset and backup. When I get the new/repaired phone I'll just restore from the backup.

That's fine (figured it'd be as it's a 64GB model which is discontinued now). Still better then having a bunch of dust under the screen IMO.

Yeah, but when the nearest store is 5hr away I'll take my chances. Admittedly it's a fairly minor issue, but when you google search dust under iPhone 6s screen it seems to always be the top left corner (which is also my case) so it may already be a known issue. It's a pity I never asked the guy I was chatting with about it (but he didn't doubt the issue).

8. epca12 macrumors regular

Yeah I would do the same if the Apple Store was 5 hours away, I was going to do it with my iPad but after asking what would happen if the fault wasn't seen, i was told simply that it would not be replaced. I thought I had better chances in the Apple Store but actually the first guy i spoke with didn't see the issue and didn't give a replacement! I accepted it but then went back to see another person and ended up waiting an hour - although it was worth it in the end as I got a replacement (although now selling that)

9. Falcon9 thread starter macrumors member

Falcon9

Update for the interested: So I mailed the phone in on the 28th, and just got it back today (would have been quicker if not for the holiday weekend). They did not give me a new device as they said, but instead replaced just the screen on mine (maybe because it's 64GB which is no longer produced?). But Apple did an excellent job I must say! I could not tell if the device was new or not when I first opened it (it was all polished up and wrapped in plastic), but the serial number matches that of the phone I sent in which means it's mine no doubt. The new screen is very nice too (and is scratch free), and honestly I'm happy to get my original hardware back as it has served me well. All in all I'm quite satisfied (and it's nice to have that "new phone feeling" again for free nearly a year later :)).

All this to say: if you have an issue with your Apple device, don't hesitate to send it to Apple. They do a good job.