Mailing List Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghall, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm looking for a mailing list program for my dad since he's been using the same one since the mid 90s. He can't get an upgrade because the app is no longer made and the company that made is has apparently gone under. Anyway, we're on the hunt for a new app that can import a tab delimited file, and can print mailing labels. Can anyone help?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Microsoft Word or iWork Pages should be able to handle this with ease.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Um...we were thinking more of like a program that's specifically designed like that. For anyone who's used MyMailList, that's what we're using.

4. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I don't mean to be rude, but did you even read the post? I'm looking for a program that can print mailing labels for SNAIL MAIL. Basically a program that has a database of mailing addressed by name or organization and allows you to easily print labels. Such a program has to exist since one did exist.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You could quite easily have been clearer. Saying postal applications would have removed any doubt to what you meant.

Mail Factory looks good. I've never used it but it seems feature complete and pretty cheap too.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Um....
    :rolleyes:

Thanks. I actually just found a program called SOHO Labels. While not mailing specific, it prints labels of all kinds, and integrates nicely with Address Book.

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Maybe its because I am English but mail = e-mail to me. That is why we have the post office, post codes and postal addresses :).

On a completely random tangent, why do you yanks call it a zip code? Always puzzled me...

9. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I tried out Mail Factory as well. It's total garbage, it crashes and locks up a lot. But it imports the tab delimited files just fine.

But SOHO labels is a really good piece of software in terms of stability, but it can't import the tab delimited file right, and neither can Address Book (which makes it easier to use SOHO Labels).

I'm kind of pissed off that there isn't a good solution for Macs.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Can't get much clearer than that.

It's actually ZIP code. Zone Improvement Plan.

Well, there is, but you rejected it.

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Can Pages import tab delimited files? We don't have Office.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure both Pages and Numbers can import tab delimited files. I know for certain that Word and Excel can, so try it! Part of what word processors like Pages or Word are designed to do is mailing lists, labels, etc. It's basic to their functionality.

You can also use Address Book to import a tab-delimited file and print envelopes or mailing labels.

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I'll try it out then. It can't hurt. Mail Factory was a nightmare (how can the developer expect anyone to pay for that program if it barely runs on a reasonably fast system), and SOHO Labels wasn't bad but it wasn't what we needed.

I'll let you all know how it works out.

Edit: Ok can someone tell me how to setup a mailing label layout in pages and get a Tab Delimited file imported?