Mailplane - Dedicated Gmail app

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dws90, Apr 3, 2008.

1. dws90 macrumors regular

I just wanted to point out an app I discovered today that I hadn't heard of previously - Mailplane. It's only been sparsely mentioned in this forum, and, since topics about Gmail and IMAP seem to be constantly popping up, it's worth mentioning as an alternative.

I was previously using Fluid to create a Gmail-specific app. Mailplane does the same thing, but also adds drag-and-drop attachment adding, Mac Address Book integration (sort of), and Growl notifications.

I haven't used it extensively, but it does what it says fairly well. It costs $25, so I'm still not sure if it's worth it, since Fluid is free. At any rate, there's a 30-day trial.

2. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Is there an advantage to just keeping gmail open in a separate safari window?

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

From the post just above yours:

Those would be the advantages.

4. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Yes thanks, I can read. I meant can it do anything you can't do normally with gmail in a browser window i.e. you can get growl notifications for free through Google Notifier and Gmail+Growl handle that. It can't possibly sync your Address Book much differently than just using Gmail's own import-export, as it's just gmail in a browser to begin with. There are firefox extensions for drag and drop attachments, etc.

5. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I was a beta tester for mailplane. They kick you off after beta testing, and for someone who was constantly submitting bugs was quite a nuisance.

6. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20