Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
One of my favorite Mac email clients, Mailplane, announced that it will no longer sell licenses. What are fellow Mailplane users here planning to migrate to?

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I'm not sure I would even pay for this service, but there's boxysuite

Personally, I would be fine with having Gmail in some sort of chromium web-thingy if I really was invested in Gmail. Or use my main browser, Google Chrome with notifications and Gmail as a WebApp could do the trick too. That's again with me. I stopped using Mailplane a long time ago because I thought it was rather dumb to be having an e-mail client for just that despite its features.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
I'm not sure I would even pay for this service, but there's boxysuite
Boxysuite looks great and a true replacement to Mailplane. However, I'm not sure how boxysuite would be able to continue to operate if third-party web access to Gmail was blocked, just as it was for Mailplane.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Boxysuite looks great and a true replacement to Mailplane. However, I'm not sure how boxysuite would be able to continue to operate if third-party web access to Gmail was blocked, just as it was for Mailplane.
ah yes, of course.. aw snacks. I'll see if the devs are on twitter and then see what they write.

Nothing from boxysuite devs yet as per 7th of June, about what Mailplane devs are writing about.

Reactions: dukee101

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I hope they're not missing out on something because their latest tweets doesn't contain anything remotely related to being cancelled out by Google's new blockades

I could be using Twitter wrong, but this is what I'm seeing as their latest tweets. Doesn't seem like they're giving up at least.
Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 16.19.10.png

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I wrote to the Boxysuite developers on Twitter asking them if they are relying on the same embedded browser login that Mailplane is and if they are to follow suit and shut down. Awaiting a reply.
I hope they answer and aren't too scammy in their approach to lure people in. It only means they will have to pay back money to the customer if they leave out telling about problems with Google login.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I have to ask, being the non-Gmail user I am(I mean, I have a Gmail account, but just not used for anything of importance) : the way macOS supports Gmail in their system, wouldn't that bring up a browser in the same manner as what Mailplane does? That ought to then end too?!

Reactions: SigEp265

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah I'm not sure how these apps are going to work around the new restriction imposed by Gmail.

My biggest gripe is that Google hasn't even built a native Progressive Web App for Gmail. If you're going to hinder apps like Mailplane, at least release a native PWA! Go figure.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure how these apps are going to work around the new restriction imposed by Gmail.

My biggest gripe is that Google hasn't even built a native Progressive Web App for Gmail. If you're going to hinder apps like Mailplane, at least release a native PWA! Go figure.
The issue seems to be that these apps run in an embedded web frame and that’s what is being blocked by Google when it comes to authentication.

As long as a full browser is utilized for logging in, then the rest of the app should be fine.

My guess is that Mailplane couldn’t work out how to break out of the embedded frame when authenticating. Other vendors may have ways to crack that nut.

dukee101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
The issue seems to be that these apps run in an embedded web frame and that’s what is being blocked by Google when it comes to authentication.
Good point. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it might be for the same reason that Mailplane allows users to inject custom CSS styling that also means they'll get locked out from Google's recent change.

How would it be different if Mailplane was an Electron app that wrapped around Gmail, ala the Slack app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.