MailTab for Outlook/Gmail Energy Usage Question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by DramaLLama, Nov 4, 2013.

1. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

I recently noticed the Energy tab in the Activity Monitor of Mavericks and saw that the highest "Avg. Energy Impact" app was MailTab Pro for Outlook (app from the app store, there's also a Gmail version)... It also causes the CPU to spike every few seconds.

Has anybody here ever used those apps and deleted them because of the higher energy usage? Is it something that would even be noticeable?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I use MailTab Pro for Gmail app and the highest going to is 2.6 on energy tab .. I also use Menutab Pro for Facebook was @ 9.9 on energy tab while the MailTab Pro was @ 2.6.. :eek:

I use both apps to reduce tab count in safari ...

3. ivnj macrumors 65816

I have the free version for gmail. Installed it few days ago. Never knew there was a pro version. There is also one for hotmail and yahoo I just noticed.

Some questions. Why is there only free versions for gmail and outlook. No free versions for hotmail and yahoo. Don't want to pay 99 cents. And What is the difference between pro and free (say gmail version for example). Besides no add or whatever.

As for the original question my cpu for the free gmail version is only 1%. And my energy impact is 1.4 and 1.66 average. So it must be your side.

4. DramaLLama, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013

DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

I might try to re-install it.. hopefully it's not just the Outlook version that's buggy. Also I'm not sure of the differences.. I've started out with the PRO version because I liked the free version (which I only tried for a day or so before paying). I'd assume no ads in paid version (there are none) but I don't know what else differs.

edit: Also MailTab for Outlook suports Hotmail and MSN accounts according to the app store description.

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

The Pro version of Mail Tab Pro for Gmail -- MailTabPro info

6. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I also own the PRO version for the Gmail app but have long moved my email to Outlook so I use the PRO version for that now :)

7. ivnj macrumors 65816

Yes that's good. But no yahoo support is there?

8. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright so I literally just uninstalled MailTab PRO for Outlook, rebooted, and re-installed it again and it's doing the same thing:

First of all there's this:
    [​IMG]

Then there's the average energy impact after just a few minutes of having it re-installed, it's already up to 9... before I uninstalled it, it was at 14ish so I can only assume it would climb back up to that after a few hours:
    [​IMG]

And then there's the spikes in energy & CPU usage.. here it is spiking into 40.. typically spikes anywhere from 20-40 for a second before going back down and spiking back up a few seconds later:
    [​IMG]

9. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Have you submitted a bug report / issue report to app dev -- Fiblab support

10. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Submitted. Hopefully I'll hear back with something useful. I'll keep you guys updated.

11. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

Still no reply from support about this issue... great.

12. DramaLLama thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll be discontinuing my use of this app until I get reply from the developer..

13. lesarmitage macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to permanently delete mailtab for gmail?

-help the uninformed