Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reubs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
I've been looking into the process of tagging for a few weeks now, but I haven't taken the leap with an app that will do all of the tagging that I need. The reason Spotlight comments don't work for me needs is there is no auto-complete on existing comments; if there was I'd have no problem.

Anyway, today I ran across MailTags. I'd been looking at Tags from GravityApps, and now I'm wondering which one to go with. They are priced the same, but MailTags (obviously) only works with Mail.app while Tags works with almost every app. I don't know if Tags has as many features, but my search is just starting.

Anyone have any experience w/ these two apps side by side?

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
I've got both. I'd give Mail Tags the edge for doing what its intended to do very well but then Tags would get the edge for being having a broader scope. Both are nice programs but tagging takes a lot of discipline.

juliainor

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
I have tried MailTags and Tags and I do like them both, but my favorite tagging solution now is Default Folder X.

If I managed a heavier flow of email on my Mac, I would've absolutely converted my MailTags trial to a license. However, my personal email flow is just not heavy enough to really need it.

I really like searching with tags, but when I was using Tags, I found it cumbersome and time consuming to get the tags on the files. It was comparable to most other tagging solutions, but it just wasn't the most efficient for me.

But I really LOVE Default Folder X. For me and my workflow, tagging when I save the file is what works best for me. It gets tags on all of my files without any extra step. I also like being able to color label at the same time.

I use Fresh for tag searches because I already had it and it works fine for my needs. There are a ton of other options as well, though.

ETA: I just realized I do still have Gravity's Tags on my machine for the times I need to do some batch tagging, etc.. But as you might surmise by the fact that I forgot I even had it installed, I rarely use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.