Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curious Cheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Hello,
Does anybody know if there is a Mac (Snow Leopard) app that functions like MailWasher? Mailwasher allows you to view incoming message headers on your ISP's server and allows you to delete it without downloading it. Also has filters, etc and learning capabilities. It was great on my PC, but apparently not available for Mac.
Thanks

Curious Cheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
I scoured the web for 2 days and cannot find an app that allows me to look at headers and use filters. If I'm missing something here please tell me. I'm not an expert...far from it.
Thanks

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Try MyPopBarrier
http://tcfj.pagesperso-orange.fr/site/index.html
The site is in France but the software works in English, and allows you to apply filters to determine spam. hitting the right arrow key switches the color of the button for each highlighted mail, so you can purge just the red "spam" mail.
Has two types of filters, one for spam (red button), one for known good mail (green button).
Works fine for me.

Curious Cheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Davidlv,
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded it and theory looks great. But I don't even know how to set it up to communicate with my default email account. I can't find a manual. Things like which port, SSL, etc are probably 2nd nature to people familiar with computers, but not me. I'm a physician and treating patients with pneumonia is easy for me, but most people would not know how. Now I'm the one who doesn't know how to make mypopbarrier work even though it may be easy for the computer literate.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Davidlv,
Thanks for the tip. I downloaded it and theory looks great. But I don't even know how to set it up to communicate with my default email account. I can't find a manual. Things like which port, SSL, etc are probably 2nd nature to people familiar with computers, but not me. I'm a physician and treating patients with pneumonia is easy for me, but most people would not know how. Now I'm the one who doesn't know how to make mypopbarrier work even though it may be easy for the computer literate.
Open up the preferences for MyPopBarrier, and also the preferences for your e-mail client: copy the same info in for the user name (mail user name, not your short user name), password (e-mail pass word) and incoming mail server, etc. The default port 110 should be OK. I have "Include in Pickup" checked, don't really know what that is, but it works OK.
:cool:

Curious Cheese

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Davidlv,
Thank you! My error was not doing "(mail user name, not your short user name)". Now it connects and starts downloading about 5,000 emails so I stopped it. I didn't realize I had so many on the server.
Is there a way to instruct mypopbarrier to download only the last 100, or only from a certain date, and leave the rest as they are on the server?
Thanks again

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Davidlv,
Thank you! My error was not doing "(mail user name, not your short user name)". Now it connects and starts downloading about 5,000 emails so I stopped it. I didn't realize I had so many on the server.
Is there a way to instruct mypopbarrier to download only the last 100, or only from a certain date, and leave the rest as they are on the server?
Thanks again
MyPopBarrier does not download anything. That is the whole point of the software. It merely reads the mail waiting on the server for download, displays those messages (mail) on your screen, giving you the chance to erase messages from the server before you use a mai client to actually download them.
You should be able to specify how long to keep messages on the server after accessing them somewhere in your e-mail client's preferences. :cool:

plefebv

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Still missing you...

Hi folks,

I am still missing a Mailwasher equivalent for my OS X Lion powered iMac.
Does someone have ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

jumbo645

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
use of maiwasher pro with apple

I am using the old Mailwasher Pro on my Imac (not Mailwasher PRO 2012). i inquired with Firecrest, info@firecrest.com, who informed me that it was not supported but should work. It seems to work fine the only thing that I cannot do is to retrieve deleted emails. I have yet to inquire as to whether the 2012 version works. hope this helps I certainly found Firecrest very helpful.

Mohli

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2016
Hampshire
Thanks for the info

I have used MailwasherPro on Windows for many years too and was hoping that it may work on my new MacBook. Apparently you can run Windows on a Mac so a lot of things must be possible.
I shall still be using a Windows PC but I want to be able to delete any rubbish while on the Mac and not leave on the server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.