main board replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Outkast27, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Just dropped off my mbpr to have the screen replaced for the 2nd time. Apple mentioned they may replace the main board also due to screen flicker. My question is will the ram and ssd be new as they are soldered to the main board?

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Motherboard replacements will replace the processor and RAM, but not the SSD, since the SSD is not soldered. This is in a retina machine, I presume.

3. ahdickter macrumors 6502

A main board (or logic board, motherboard, etc.) will replace the CPU, GPU, RAM, Bluetooth, Wifi, and most of the other components. The SSD is replaceable and not soldered down to the main board. However, that does not mean they won't replace it or reinstall OS X. I've had cases where they replaced the logic board on an old Macbook Pro and also reinstalled OS X for solid reason. Sometimes they like to cover the bases and make sure that the issue never returns. Make sure you back up your data before having it serviced if you haven't already. Good luck!

4. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks fellas! I will be amazed if I receive it back with zero issues. I asked if they would upgrade my ssd the the next size up for the entire inconvenience and their shoty work on the first repair they did.i know its a long shot but doesnt hurt to ask.

5. Outkast27 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fed ex just dropped off my mbpr. They replaced the logic board. However, the did not replace the screen like the genius bar stated they would.